How to Wisely Invest

So, I've just finished high school, and my parents have graciously offered to buy me a graduation gift. Pretty much anything under $1,000 is fair game. Currently, my equipment stockpile is the following:

-Nikon D3100
-Plenty of lights
-A Zoom H1 audio recorder (though we've also been using a MUCH nicer one from a friend)
-A decent $250 shotgun mic

I guess I'm just asking for some advice as to what I should get. My initial thoughts are to buy a Canon T3i or 7D and put magic lantern on it, but the university I'm going to next year has a pretty good film program (more studies than production, but I know I would have access to good cameras) so I might just be using their resources during the year. On breaks however, I know I will be doing a lot of filming as well, because I do a lot of collaboration a friend of mine here at home. Of course, there's always renting a camera, too. So do you think it's worth it to sink a lot of money into some equipment, or would it be better to just get a completely different gift that is not film-related. I know this is sort of just a question that only I can fully answer, but I'm just looking for some perspectives.

Thanks!

Congratulations on finishing high school!

I too am heading to film school this fall, so maybe my input is right up your alley, since we're in the same boat.

I think it's important to invest in equipment that will be valuable to you both in and out of school. That's why I'd actually suggest against picking up something as hefty as a bunch of lights - because your school will have access to far better lighting, hopefully. Plus, you can only then use those lights while you are home for breaks, which isn't where you are building your portfolio - that's what you're doing at school.

I think investing in a nice one-man-band rig would be a good idea. Something portable that you can bring to and from school and use for all sorts of solo-applications.

My rig is fairly similar to yours - a T3i, Zoom H1, and a Rode Videomic. So I've cut buying lights entirely, since I know they'll just take up space at home while I'm at school. My camera choice is a bit stronger than yours, but my mic doesn't stack towards something in the $250 range, that you're looking at. But, it's perfect for when I want to go rogue and do my own thing, even if it's just me.

As for renting equipment, I wouldn't waste any money while you are in school renting crap. Rent things for free from the school when you're in-session, but don't waste any money that could be going towards useful things (like tuition!) on renting out cameras on breaks.

I'd aim in the used range, if need be. That could cut your price down and kick up your quality a bit. Move from a new D3100 to a used T3i for two hundred or so more dollars.

Good advice above.

Very debatable topic. Have a look at this thread:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=54179

An on-camera mic is only going to be able to pick up low to average quality audio; and only if you can get the camera close to the talent (ideally within 2-3 feet) - how easy is that with an on-camera mic? Not easy.

Hence why the experienced folks recommend booming the mic in but that means $$$ for a boom, shock mount, cables etc.

A tripod is a must for most camera work.

Magnus VT-4000 Tripod System with Fluid Head
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842086-REG/Magnus_VT_4000_VT_4000_Tripod_System.html

If your film school has easy and plentiful access to gear (???), then maybe just get a good laptop for taking notes during class.

Or simply wait till you start school, and make a call then.

Back