Real Independent Films

Hello,

New member and I wanted to get right to the point.
There are a lot of filmmakers here, that's good. However...many are following the same old blueprints, even creative ideas of "other" indy filmmakers.

There are so many books, so much advice and the so called experts telling you how to make your film, how to market your film, where to enter into what festivals, uploading on-line, making a profit, the future of Independent film. All of this will only boggle your mind.

You can forget about the legitimacy of film festivals, and securing a distribution deal with some major distribution company, you know this also, your just spending lots of time and money.

There are new ways of creating films, and marketing, most of this is not being fed to the masses on-line however.

If you have a great film trailer, and I mean A GREAT Film Trailer, post it here, if its great ( not good) I will get in touch and we can go from there.

Think in ways of the record labels, they use to listen to the first 20 seconds of the song, they required only 3 songs, you had 3 chances, that was it, if you didn't get it on the first 20 seconds, you were out.

Thats what I want, make it powerful short and sweet.

I can promote it, make it happen, this is what I am paid to do.

Bring them on.

KS

Hello,

New member and I wanted to get right to the point.
There are a lot of filmmakers here, that's good. However...many are following the same old blueprints, even creative ideas of "other" indy filmmakers.

There are so many books, so much advice and the so called experts telling you how to make your film, how to market your film, where to enter into what festivals, uploading on-line, making a profit, the future of Independent film. All of this will only boggle your mind.

You can forget about the legitimacy of film festivals, and securing a distribution deal with some major distribution company, you know this also, your just spending lots of time and money.

There are new ways of creating films, and marketing, most of this is not being fed to the masses on-line however.

If you have a great film trailer, and I mean A GREAT Film Trailer, post it here, if its great ( not good) I will get in touch and we can go from there.

Think in ways of the record labels, they use to listen to the first 20 seconds of the song, they required only 3 songs, you had 3 chances, that was it, if you didn't get it on the first 20 seconds, you were out.

Thats what I want, make it powerful short and sweet.

I can promote it, make it happen, this is what I am paid to do.

Bring them on.

KS
So you're like a big record label. You can make a career? Not much
different than any of the top five festivals or the big indie distributors.
But it's YOUR opinion that matters. And it won't be fed to the masses
on line.

Sounds good to me. What movies have you marketed?

Why aren't any "Kim Timmons" listed anywhere on IMDB? No film critics by that name are showing up on Google either. I've been contacted by REAL producers before who show up on IMDB and Google. What's your story?

Last edited:
For your information ' serious filmmakers'

Regarding my post.... most of us in the industry would not come aboard and list our real names, because most of you can't read, or read between the lines, someone has asked me to post my credentials.

Appears as arrogant young sarcasm instead of producing the goods.

People who can "read between the lines" cut through the chase, discern that someone serious may want to see some outstanding film trailers, for a serious reason.

Here is who and what I am in case you don't know what South by Southwest is, if you don't ask your friends, I am sure they won't know either.

Janet

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/janet-pierson-named-sxsw-film-producer-57417547.html

http://www.indiewire.com/influencers/pierson-janet

Regarding my post.... most of us in the industry would not come aboard and list our real names, because most of you can't read, or read between the lines, someone has asked me to post my credentials.

People who can "read between the lines" cut through the chase, discern that someone serious may want to see some outstanding film trailers, for a serious reason.

Here is who and what I am in case you don't know what South by Southwest is, if you don't ask your friends, I am sure they won't know either.
Sarcasm. An unusual marketing tool.

You want filmmakers to trust that you can promote films yet you
choose to NOT tell us who you are. I understand being anonymous
when posting on a message board. But not when promoting a
business. And then putting down people who asked who you are is
an odd way to show respect and build trust. Asking who you are seems
reasonable to me.

"someone serious" who want to help filmmakers might actually be
proud of their business. On message boards the anonymous person
claiming to be in the position to "make it happen" is someone to be
cautious about. It is not "young sarcasm" to ask relevant questions.
It is not wise to "read between the lines".

You clearly have the chops. You clearly can help promote. I don't
understand why you were not up front about who you are. And I
don't understand why you have chosen to return sarcasm with
sarcasm. I understand why the filmmakers here asked relevant
questions and I understand why some replied with sarcasm. Most
people offering to "make it happen" cannot make anything happen.
You can. I don't understand why you are not proud of your
accomplishments.

I would welcome you to indietalk but I suspect you won't spend any
time here. Too bad. It's a great place to connect with serious filmmakers.
But we do want to know about the people offering services. I'm sorry you
feel that is arrogant.

From a business standpoint: why would anyone invest in a person who isn't upfront with them? In the day and age where people can find you if you are connected to any social media platform it is important to be upfront people.

On top of that it is hard to discern the real promoters from fakers who just want to make a quick buck. I mean, there are a ton of online marketers who play the smoke n mirrors tactic in order to swindle cash from people. That is why I believe it is important to show your track record and who you are. :)

Just my two cents, do what you please.

I don't understand the sentiments against her post. All she did was ask for us to post trailers. Maybe she doesn't want to be inundated with unsolicited emails and phone calls.

Go to your local film-meetup. Everybody is handing out their business cards. But then there are some who say "Oh, I forgot my cards," "Oh, I left them at the office." They're the only ones there that are gainfully employed in the industry. They don't want unsolicited anything. Maybe all she's doing is saying "Let me see the short version of your film before we talk further. Oh, and I left my business cards at the office."

I don't understand the sentiments against her post.

I took issue with the sarcasm of her second post.

You're fine with people not identifying themselves. I am not. THAT is
the reason I feel it is acceptable to ask. mussonman and El Director
felt the way you feel and posted a link. I asked about the business

Do you feel I should have not even asked? Do you really not understand
why those of us who are curious asked?

You're fine with people not identifying themselves.
Do you feel I should have not even asked? Do you really not understand
why those of us who are curious asked?

Depends on the circumstance. Some people who don't identify themselves, advertise their sites, and then ask us to upload our movies, to give them our movies and shorts and/or to pay them fees. Yeah. Then I'd like to know who the hell they are and what they're going to do with the film. She just asked for a trailer. What is anybody going to do with a trailer. That's why I was wondering about what the big deal was.

In this instance, I think you're getting carried away. She seems to be heading SXSW. I think we should welcome her and make life as easy as possible for her on this site.

In this instance, I think you're getting carried away.
I said, "Sounds good to me. What movies have you marketed?"

You think that is getting carried away?

In your opinion what should I have done?

I ask because I strive to be a better member of this terrific community.

I said, "Sounds good to me. What movies have you marketed?"

You think that is getting carried away?

No. You weren't getting carried away then. But we're getting carried away now. :)

I ask because I strive to be a better member of this terrific community.

You're probably the most well regarded, widely respected member of this community. We all love you Rik :)

All I'm saying is: Now we know who she is. So let's figure how we can help her, and how she can help us.

Cheers :)
Aveek

My 2 cents:

Most of us here are jaded, having seen untold numbers of scammers and flimflammers who drive by here having atitudes just like yours.

We have lives and cannot approach each vague post as if it were the REAL DEAL every single time, and if you're not willing to fork up a wee bit of honesty from the get go, that's really your problem, not ours.

To take this a step further, as you know, to find gems in this business, you need to sift through a boatload of crap hence the need to cast a wide net. Your approach appeals to uber nubes and the truly desperate.

Carry on.

My 2 cents:

Most of us here are jaded, having seen untold numbers of scammers and flimflammers who drive by here having atitudes just like yours.

We have lives and cannot approach each vague post as if it were the REAL DEAL every single time, and if you're not willing to fork up a wee bit of honesty from the get go, that's really your problem, not ours.

To take this a step further, as you know, to find gems in this business, you need to sift through a boatload of crap hence the need to cast a wide net. Your approach appeals to uber nubes and the truly desperate.

Carry on.

It's not a vague post when you put what she does, in context. It's great that you're not a nube or truly desperate. I am. I'm working on my trailer and would like to be able to post it on this thread. Please stop talking shit. You're going to drive away the only person genuinely connected to the film world that I have seen here. Please do the rest of us desperate ones that favor.

Back