How to make somone look older?

[wassn't sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it]

My goal is to make a 18 year old look more like a 24 year old. any ideas? what makes people look older, perhaps facial hair, but only to a certain point :-/ any ideas? or anyone know where I can get fake mustache's etc...

alot of it is confidence and carraige (how they walk and stand) to make that 6 year gap...the facial hair will help alot...you can get facial hair (comes in a long braid can get different colors) and spirit gum (don't forget the remover...I didn't get it out of spite ;) ). I'll have to do up some one and take pictures for instruction. I had to do this for our shoot as our lead actor shaved for an interview :( He had a very distinct beard which wouldn't go unnoticed. I would check out the local costume shoppe, they can usually give you instructions on using it too if they have knowlegeble staff.

go with the actor to the local college...watch the older students there (not the non-trads, but the juniors and seniors). watch the walk, the skin texture, the posture, the concentration, the reactions to environment...research.

I think the difference between 18 and 24 is confidence... the looks aren't really that different at that age.

I think it will be acting and not makeup... It's attitude and experience, not wrinkles...

Without knowing what they look like I can't make any more suggestions on how to make them look older... but from the grand scheme of things most of the time the look of someone at that age isn't a look of the face... it's more like how they carry themselves.

tan... tanning makes people look older.

Drinking makes people look older.

facial hair too...you should be able to find some theatrical hair or crepe hair at some local store now...it's halloween. we've got it at media play, couple of dollar stores, target...just about everywhere. They would have spirit gum as well where they sell that.

Back