Help with audio stuff

Hi, I own a Tascam D40, and im looking for a shotgun mic to use it with.
So I started reading about de Rode NTG1, 2, 3.

The Rode NTG3 is pretty expensive for me here in my country, but if is really worth it, and its much better I could buy it, but if isn't really much difference with the 1 or 2, I maybe go better with those.
I think I'll mostly use it for shortfilms, fiction, and doc (I already have a lav mic) nothing super pro just independent productions of mine.

So, can some sound guy clarify this for me?

Im not native english speaker, so please apologize my limited english.
Thanks.

Last edited:
The NTG-1 and NTG-2 are basically the same mic.

The difference is that the NTG-2 (and the Audio Technica AT897 - US$220) use an internal battery to supply power the internal phantom power electronics. The problem is that most mics that use an internal battery for phantom power have lower volume output levels. The lower volume output means that you will need to increase the gain of the recorder, which means that the self noise (hiss) of the recorder/mixer will be more present.

The NTG-1 (and the Audio Technica AT875 - US$170) need phantom power that is externally supplied by the recorder or mixer. However, this drains the batteries of budget recorders (like the Tascam DR series) very quickly; 90 minutes to two (2) hours is about the maximum limit. Tascam does make external battery packs for about US$25.

Personally I would go with the NTG-1 or AT875. For me, as a sound guy, the sound always gets preference over convenience.

To take best advantage of a mic like the NTG-3 you would need a decent mixer like the PSC ProMix-3 (US$500), or a quality mixer like the Sound Devices MixPre-D (US$900).

Last edited:
... or a quality recorder like the Sound Devices MixPre-D (US$900).

The MixPre-D is a mixer, not a recorder. And it's a mighty fine little mixer, too.

That aside, I'll second the suggestion that the NTG-3 would be wasted on the DR-40 without a good pre-amp or mixer in front. The addition of a mixer in front of the DR-40, though, gives you a lot more flexibility in the field and adds a level of signal control, metering, and monitoring not available from a handheld recorder.

Thanks for the replies.
The Rode NTG1 will work fine with the Tascam DR40 alone (without preamp)?
Im asking because my lav mic does not work with it, the signal is too low (or something).

Last edited:
The NTG-1 and NTG-2 are basically the same mic.

... the NTG-2 (and the Audio Technica AT897... The lower volume output means that you will need to increase the gain of the recorder, which means that the self noise (hiss) of the recorder/mixer will be more present.

Personally I would go with the NTG-1 or AT875. For me, as a sound guy, the sound always gets preference over convenience.

I totally blew it on this one, I thought the AT897 was the one to get. Now am wishing I had the AT875...:hmm:

Thanks for the replies.
The Rode NTG1 will work fine with the Tascam DR40 alone (without preamp)?
Im asking because my lav mic does not work with it, the signal is too low (or something).
Is that a lav designed for use with a wireless transmitter? If so there is your problem, they have different power requirements. The NTG1 will work with the DR40.

Back