Are macs better at editing?

Are mac better at editing using Final Pro vs say Premier on a PC.

I didnt see any threads on this page pretaining to this specific question so i was hoping to get not just opinions but data or source links to show why it is.

Im not challenging Macs and I know Final Pro is an industry standard (Or one of them) but after messing around with adobe premier I found Vegas Video to do just as good as quality and a much more affordable price.

it also has some cool features that after effects has.

I have never used Final Pro or even seen it used. But a friend of mine on an irc site told me he uses it and that it has "Real Time Rendering". I still cant figure out how it renders in real time or if thats what he actually meant. but he said it was non linear real time rendering where you just edit and save and the file doesnt take the hours one spends on vegas or premier.

so is this true and is this why its prefered?

Someone more knowledgable than myself may have a better answer, but I cannot imagine Final Cut can render in real time. What your friend is saying, I believe, is that he can edit and then view the movie in Real time, without having to Render the entire video (a very lengthy process).

If that is the case, Premier does the same function. It simply plays through the video and does its best to present the video as you've told it to. Depending on your system, it won't appear as smooth as when it's exported, but it gives you a good idea of what to expect.

Premier also has a "Render Workspace" function that makes the process I've mentioned smoother... essentially, it does a rough rendering (only takes a couple minutes) of the timeline and gives you a cleaner, but still not perfect, representation of what the movie will look like.

I don't think any NLE will let you Render a finish product instantly, however.

King Goldfish said:
Are mac better at editing using Final Pro vs say Premier on a PC.
No.

The software helps the editor. The editor is the person who is good at editing.

All three NLE systems you mention here are fine. And all three are getting better with each version.

You will find that the editors who use one system will like the system they use.

I'm an FCP user. Always have been. The others confuse me. But that doesn't make the system worse.

Mac processors handle video information more efficiently than a PC, so you need less processing power to accomplish the same thing. However I use a PC and it works just fine.

Are mac better at editing using Final Pro vs say Premier on a PC

I would have to say yes IMO. Final Cut pro optimized on a dual 2.5 GHz G5 64 bit processor can do some serious damage. (In fact the G5s were designed with HD in mind for all those HD people out there) In my experience at least I have had great success on the mac and not so much luck on the PCs using Adobe. Final Cut is also customizable to handle basically any type of format that you want, for example you can set it up to work in cinepak at 320x240 natively if you wanted. I am of course more familiar with Final Cut Pro than Adobe, so I wouldn't be able to make the best unbiased call, but I have pushed Final cut and it has delievered. It hasn't held me back from what I try to do with the program. Also Apple has a nice way of making their programs integrate with their other programs, and that always saves a headache or two!! I would recommend macs and final cut to everyone, but it's ultimately with whatever feels more comfortable.

Well what you said about Final Pro (The features) are found in my Vegas Video v4

I love the easy non linear setup of being able to overlap scenes and it works with many codecs nicely.

it has crashed a couple of times though. and thats really frustrating because i have to save between every i edit.

But Vegas Video is really cool. And I think it renders about twice as fast on the same computer as adobe did. Adobe is sluggish for me.

My specs arent great though. this computer is 2 years old

2.6ghz P4

1 gig of DDR

but only has an 80 gig HD. I need to get an external one or upgrade.

I have Both a PC and a Mac and IMO i would say the mac with FCP would blow the PC out the water. Even just steaming live video I've scene macs with less proccessor speeds stream smoother then PC's. The mac BUS speed is higher and it's a more stable system for editing video.

Back