Releasing content in 2018

Hey all,

I'd like to release a short film and the beginning of a new series next month. Very low budget, was originally considering YouTube but I'm worried it's not the right outlet for me. I was considering giving Amazon a shot but wondering if it's right for me. I feel like YouTube could work, but it doesn't seem like the platform of choice for people looking to watch a film. I'd love to hear any suggestions on this, and anyone's experience using Amazon video. :D

I have 2 features on Amazon Prime and it works well for me.
But it might be more trouble than it's worth for you as I think they require close captioning even for short movies.

I agree with Quality that YouTube is certainly a good choice; you could put it on Vimeo as well.

I'd encourage you to also use social media to promote it, and of course you can post the YouTube video on here.

How long is the short? What is the genre?

For the series, I'd vote YT. For the short, depends.

I'd say that about Vimeo not YT. I agree supplemental promotion will be needed from FB and Twitter etc. but YT also has a social component and I have discovered things natively.

YouTube is great as it is also easy to embed, but facebook is prioritizing their own videos now. LinkedIn even started with its own player.
Vimeo is a great platform as well, but IMO less embed friendly.

I'm a YouTube user.
I put my short films on YouTube. The closed caption option is amazing.

However, YouTube did something not nice a few days ago:
The YouTube Partner Program that allows you to monetize videos will only be available for channels with 1000+ subs and over 4000 hours of viewtime in the past 365 days.
(Great response to the Logan scandal. Not.)
External linking was always my reason to use YouTube for my clients and that option also is in the YPP at the moment. They are thinking about new rules for that.

So it looks like they decided to side with the already big channels, who could build their audience in a way new channels can no longer. (Winner takes all system.)

Looks like I'll be advicing my clients to get a Vimeo Plus/Pro account from now on, unless external linking will still be available.

I wasn't assuming he had 0 following because he never stated that.

I assumed so because he said "it doesn't seem like the platform of choice for people looking to watch a film."

Which, he is sort of correct. Noone will discover it there. But that doesn't mean it isn't a viable place to host it while searching for an audience elsewhere.

Not even the subs. A REGULAR audience watching. HIGH numbers, specifically with HIGH retention rate.

SEO won't help in the beginning because even with the exact tags that users may search, you're still buried by: videos with high viewcount and retention time, channels that upload every single day, and the MANY other competing small-timers

Facebook is great for promo because of hashtags.

Some of the videos I've posted have gotten 50K views plus (and hundreds of shares). All from hashtagging. They aren't short films but you get the idea. Hashtag!!!!

My presence is pretty weak on Facebook at the moment, never any luck with hashtags. Instagram is much better for me, I will promote and network anywhere practical. Being my own first releases I'm unsure how to approach it. For Amazon I anticipated the inclusion of subtitles and any other requirements. I just don't want to make it difficult for potential viewers to watch my film, and I'd rather it not cost them for a view. I do like the idea and platform of amazon, and I feel like my films will remain buried on YouTube.

Last edited:
Interesting, indietalk.
Would you mind giving out one of those Facebook links so I could see an example of how you used hashtags?

They are videos of people doing stupid things with hot peppers. If you know about the hot sauce world you use tags like #reaper etc. Grown men crying and the right hashtags = viral. No sure what the OP's niche is. But some niches or hobbies are just tailored for hashtags.

They are videos of people doing stupid things with hot peppers. If you know about the hot sauce world you use tags like #reaper etc. Grown men crying and the right hashtags = viral. No sure what the OP's niche is. But some niches or hobbies are just tailored for hashtags.

Funny you say that, before I read that I was just thinking about how it's been a while since I last visited the hot pepper forums I'm on. Planning on growing some more peppers this year ??

Back