Editing in lower quality, exporting in full HD

Hello,

I record my footage in full HD and extension .mov. When I'm editing in Premiere Pro cs4, it goes very slow. I can never just watch a couple of seconds of footage I just edited. I just move with the cursor through it and slowly look at the images that come up. It definately doesn't "play" fluently.
It's probably because I have a PC that is not really meant for graphical use. Although my pc (hp) is not very old and works fine.
I wonder if I can solve this by editing in a lower quality, 720p or lower. But when I'm done editing I want to export it in full HD. How can I do this?

I don't know much about the technical side for the computer, so it's kind of hard to figure out what settings I might misuse.

Thanks for answering.

extension .mov. When I'm editing in Premiere Pro cs4, it goes very slow.

Use Media Encoder to convert the .mov to MPEG2 files. You can keep the HD dimensions, and you'll end up with footage 1/3 the filesize... and most importantly, plays natively in Premiere.

Once you're done editing, you can either export from the MPEG2 footage or swap everything out for the original .mov footage again.

Good luck :)

In addition to what Zensteve has said, have you tried lowering the playback quality, while in Premier? Set it to 1/2 or 1/4 resolution. Might speed up your playback.

If that doesn't work, you can always creat proxie files to edit, them reconnect the original high quality footage.

I've been learning Davinci resolve lite (free on blackmagic's website), and creating proxies and round tripping to premier and back to resolve is very easy.

Right clicking on footage in the Project (file manager) window on the source footage you can choose replace with and in this way you could easily replace your lower quality footage with higher quality footage for exporting

Thanks for the answers! I will try what Zensteve said and replace my hQ footqge for lower Q footage and lowering the playback quality.

Don't have time till the day after tomorrow though, I' ll let you know if it worked :)

More info could be helpfull:

what system are you running?
Where is the footage located? A dedicated harddisk? Or the same cramped drive your OS is running?

Maybe your computer lacks speed or GPU...

Back