HD Space for 10-bit ProRes 1080 HQ

I'm shooting my 15 minute short-film in ProRes 1080 HQ, and want to know if 720 minutes of HD space is enough to hold the all the footage of a typical 15 minute narrative short?

I am looking at using WD Sorpio Black Drives, in some OWC Enclosures. The drives are 750GB and I believe they'd hold about 720 min (12 hours) of footage (three drive redundancy for security).

Is 750GB enough space to hold all my material (it seems like plenty). I realize that shooting ratios vary wildly from director to director. But, there are a number of you who've shot narrative shorts in the past and I'd certainly like to get your $0.02 on the matter.

Thanks,

Thomas

I think it should be enough. Our latest 7 minute short ended up with 80Gb of ProRes 422 (~80 minutes of raw footage). In HQ that would have been 120GB. An 8 minute doc we did before that was about 130 minutes of raw footage, works out to about 200Gb total. The 3 minute music video we shot last weekend was 150 minutes of source footage, for about 225Gb of space.

So I can't say how typical that is, but at least based on what's typical for us I think you should have plenty of space with those drives.

Back