How would you distribute?

So I've shot a few shorts, dancing, music vids, interviews, done some editing etc... and even been on a couple of pro shoots. Now is the time to drive this forward and take my first shot at a serious, money-making product. I want to self-fund this.

My target market is definable, contactable, passionate about the subject matter and numerous enough that I believe this could be financially lucrative. When we ran an analysis through Facebook, we discovered an international market of passionate enthusiasts with Facebook pages, websites, associations and clubs.

I don't believe television would be interested but a download market combined with DVDs could work if the product was good enough. However, what I do not know at this stage is how this could work. For DVDs, I presume I could just start an Amazon page. Otherwise, for downloads, I just don't know. What do you do to sell product? How much do you pay?

As a note, this would attract a lot of flack so I would have to be extremely careful. Specifically, I would expect any website to get hacked to death and I would probably receive a few death threats. This is a controversial subject so I want a site with decent protection, not something I personally put up.

It depends on the subject matter.

How controversial? Are you talking the kind that warrants the death sentence if you step foot in a particular country (like what happened with that Muslim movie) or might make a few left wing people upset?

It depends on the subject matter.

How controversial? Are you talking the kind that warrants the death sentence if you step foot in a particular country (like what happened with that Muslim movie) or might make a few left wing people upset?

Lefties. No Muslims involved. However, the subject matter would be strong enough that I'd get a few death threats... which would be good for publicity!

Last edited:
Make the best movie in the world and go to film festivals. If that fails, self-distribution

The subject matter means this will be niche and not for general distribution. It would be targetted at a small, group of extremely passionate enthusiasts who could be interested in buying / downloading it. It is a very polarising topic and enough that I'd get a few death threats.

However, the potential for distribution is limited to a small, but passionate and most importantly definable and reachable demographic. This means a small, very cheap PR campaign could reach 90% of the people who could buy it very quickly.

This is why I am looking to 'self-distribute' through an online and DVD platform which I unfortunately know nothing about. I really have no idea about distributing through an online platform so wanted to ask what other people do. As a note, I wouldn't want to use my own website as the subject matter is controversial enough that it would get hacked.

I suggest Video on demand platform bcoz I don't now-a-days anybody buying a DVD to watch movie or any TV series. Everybody want to enjoy their favorite videos at their will, anytime and anywhere.
So, better to build a video streaming platform and monetize your video content using Muvi Studio - White label VOD Platform at Zero Investment.

You can distribute on Amazon (through createspace) with both DVD and VOD. There's no cost up front, but they take a large percentage. You can set the price you want for DVDs, there's a minimum of something like $8. And you suggest the price of VOD rentals and downloads and they set it, though it seems they stick with whatever you suggest as long as it's reasonable.

So let's say you set it up to make $1 off every rental. How many rentals do you need to cover your budget? If you have a $10,000 budget, then you need to sell 10,000 units to break even. Maybe you don't want to offer rentals as an option. Let's say you choose only DVD or download and you make $5 off every sale. If you have the same budget now you only need to sell 2,000 units to break even. Do you think your audience will buy 2,000 DVDs?

I'm exploring self distribution on Amazon and I'm blogging about it, if you want to know more: http://katiechronicles.blogspot.com/

Back