Tips on directing a documentary

Don't pay for hookers with a credit card?

:scared:

...er, I would suggest that if you can get a second person to work with you, do that. Its not a bad idea to have a second pair of hands. When I do my documentary projects, its the one thing I really wish I had....

....take the lens cap off the camera, make sure the camera is running....and don't pay for the hookers with the credit card....
:D
-- spinner :cool:

I too am doing a documentary for my organization. Unfortunately, the budget doesn't allow for us to hire a professional team, and since I'm a post-production guy, I was asked to produce this thing- somehow, they think a video editor knows how to use a camera. Anyway, I understand the rule of thirds, but is there a Golden rule on the length of time I should have a shot of someone being interviewed before cutting to a different angle? Watching some documentaries similar to the genre my organization is in, it appears that 6-8 seconds is an average length for a clip, is this about right? Any advice on this? If it matters, the background is a simple black backdrop and I'm borrowing a professional photo studio with soft lights at least, so I know the lighting will be good if nothing else. so, there won't be any movement in the background, -if that even matters. Thanks.

Last edited:
Aside from the key, fill, and rim (hair) lighting, you might consider shooting a streak of light across the backdrop, this could be either plain light or with a colored gel.. it will help break up the plain background a bit.

If you have, or can get, any B-roll footage to cut away to either between or during interviews, that would also help reduce the tedious feeling that a barrage of talking heads offers.

Umm... Use a tripod. If you can use two cameras, you can get a tight shot and a medium close up of the interviewee at the same time. If you're going to have any shots of the interviewer it's generally best to shoot those AFTER you finish the interview.

Aside from that, I'd suggest watching some of these Digital Juice TV episodes, they have some good tips on some things that may be helpful:

Production Notes: Come on Baby, Light My Background
Take 5: Awesome Interviews
and most of the episodes of Field of View have some good nuggets in them for both shooting and editing.

Oh, and use a GOOD mic, not the built in camera mic. :)

Last edited:
Cool, I did watch those Digital Juice vids, that's where I learned about the Thirds rule. I actually was going to add a streak of light on the background in post because the studio only has soft lights. My idea was to cut to B roll footage as they conitnue to talk. This is a military production, but we're hell bent on making it a really good production, not the standard boring military video that we're used to seeing. I am using 2 cameras exactly the way you mentioned, so I think I'm good on that aspect. My sound quality will be poor unfortunately because we don't have a mic system, I'm hoping to clean it up and Normalize it using SoundBias or Audition. Is there a rule of thumb regarding the length of shots before cutting to another angle? the Filed of View video is pretty inspiring and gave me ideas for my shoots, maybe some day I'll actually venture into the filiming aspect instead of just doing Post. This project I'm doing will be like an aptitude test I think. If it sucks, then maybe I was never meant to film. LOL!

If it sucks, then maybe I was never meant to film. LOL!
I wouldn't say that.. most people suck really bad the first few times out. ;) But shooting interview stuff is pretty straight forward.

You could use a halogen work light and some aluminum foil to shape it for the backdrop.. They're cheap hard light sources.

Good luck!

and since I'm a post-production guy, I was asked to produce this thing- somehow, they think a video editor knows how to use a camera.

....the video editors that I know, all can use a camera. However if you can't, one suggestion would be to have someone who does shoot it for you. But that doesn't seem like an option for you so.......

My suggestion would be to watch alot of documentaries quickly and study them. There is no cut and dried layout for how long a subject can be on screen before you change the shot. I think it has more to do with what is being discussed. Remember that you want to show the story, not tell it. So what you can do is let your subject briefly intro what you are going to show, and then show it.

As for the documentaries, avoid the Michael Moore ones because they are not what you are trying to do. However, pick up "Dogtown and Z-Boys", which is about skateboarding and my personal favorite. I suggest this because the subjects are sitting and the director cuts from them talking to b-roll. Tonight on MTV2, there is a doc called "Heavy: The Story Of Metal". You may not be into the music, but again, the subjects sit and the director cuts in b-roll.

Watching documentaries gives you an idea as to how to do them. Once you get the idea of them down, then you can begin to add your own vision to make them unique to you.

....the video editors that I know, all can use a camera. However if you can't, one suggestion would be to have someone who does shoot it for you. But that doesn't seem like an option for you so.......

So what you can do is let your subject briefly intro what you are going to show, and then show it.

As for the documentaries, avoid the Michael Moore ones because they are not what you are trying to do.
Watching documentaries gives you an idea as to how to do them. Once you get the idea of them down, then you can begin to add your own vision to make them unique to you.

Well you're right, I do know how to use one and have done a few little shorts- although it was only to experiment with green screen and new graphics software, but I prefer to leave the camera work to someone else for the time being. I'm still working on honing my editing and VFX skills.

I try not to watch anything from Michael Moore, so don't worry about that, but I'll definately look into the skatboarding doc, my son is a skater so he'll like it too. I've been watching a lot of History Channel docs and interviews because that's kinda the style we're going for. I like your advice about showing the story, not telling it. I'll have to keep that in mind. I'll post it when we're done. One of the videos we're doing is for our website as an Introduction. I'll send you and Will a link when it's set up if you don't mind. I'm a cadre member of a Warrior Transition Unit where we take care of our Wounded Warriors. November is an Army wide Media "blitz" campaign and we're producing a Documentary DVD because so many people ask us for more information on these units. Hopefully, I'll do a good enough job that people won't get bored. We'll see. Thanks again for the input.

Well you're right, I do know how to use one and have done a few little shorts- although it was only to experiment with green screen and new graphics software, but I prefer to leave the camera work to someone else for the time being. I'm still working on honing my editing and VFX skills.

I will be doing some experimenting with green screen as well. I am always working on my editing skills, I want to figure out how to incorporate Motion into what I do, so I'll be teaching myself that system soon I hope. I know I'll have alot of green screen questions...

I like your advice about showing the story, not telling it. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Best piece of advice I ever got regarding filmmaking of any kind.....

I'll send you and Will a link when it's set up if you don't mind. I'm a cadre member of a Warrior Transition Unit where we take care of our Wounded Warriors. November is an Army wide Media "blitz" campaign and we're producing a Documentary DVD because so many people ask us for more information on these units. Hopefully, I'll do a good enough job that people won't get bored. We'll see. Thanks again for the input.

I'd love to see the finished product. Anything that helps out our troops is a noble undertaking indeed. :)

Good luck my friend "Tomaplaw".

actually i'm a very new member of "indietalk", n me also a new film maker in my own life.

so as my sense first u have to stick to the script, get many shots as much as you can!

n all the best again.

spenceronhighway.

Last edited:
Back