How do I start out as a Director?

Okay so I really want to be a director. I want my vision on the screen. BUT where do I get started? How do I direct my first movie? Ask them to if I can direct it for them? I am confused how they pick directors. :huh:

I don't know your level of talent, but my advice is just to write a script and do it.

I see many folks tell you that it needs to be like a 1-5 minute long film, as if that rule is just set in stone and if you dont do it as an amateur filmmaker you will be doomed.

(and for all I know that may be true because I am just directing my first film this summer :)

But I doubt it.

If there is a project on your mind, and you believe you can make it work, and you have the $$$$ to do it, than do it. No matter how big, no matter how much experience you have. Nothing fails but a try, and odds are, if you put effort into it, you will not fail. The only possible way you can fail is if you give up and not do it.

Even if the film sucks, at least it's yours creation! At least you did it....you learned from the experience...it was fun! You'll want to do it again and again!!!

So basically, the best advice anyone on this thread has given you, come up with your own project within your budget, buy a camera and everything else you need (within your budget), AND JUST DO IT!!

Now of course you need to study your craft, as well. If you are passionate about the work then that will be automatic.

Right now I am directing my first film, and it may be about 30-45 minutes long. I am 24.
I am filming in Alabama and will also have a scene in Florida. Filming begins in May and will likely last till mid August.

I'm pretty pumped for it. And I'm confident that it will turn out nice.

Well, making a short of 1 to 5 minutes as a first project is a good advice, because the first time you'll probably encounter some problems/bottlenecks you didn't anticipate, but need to be solved.
It gives you experience that will be helpfull for longer projects.

And a short is 'easier' to finish, because it's shorter ;)

Btw, cool to see you are ambitious: be sure to post the results when you are finished :)

I see many folks tell you that it needs to be like a 1-5 minute long film, as if that rule is just set in stone and if you dont do it as an amateur filmmaker you will be doomed.
Not one person here said that. Not one.

Starting with a few short films is good advice. No one said that
advice is the ONLY way or any director who doesn't follow it will
be doomed.

Right now I am directing my first film, and it may be about 30-45 minutes long. I am 24.
I am filming in Alabama and will also have a scene in Florida. Filming begins in May and will likely last till mid August.

I'm pretty pumped for it. And I'm confident that it will turn out nice.

Once your film is done, what is your plan for it?

My plans for the film...

Edit it myself...have a release party...sell some copies...take in all the experience like Highlander. :)

May submit to a festival as well. We'll see.

And I didnt mean to imply that making a 1 minute film is a BAD idea...just not a rule that you must obey or you will fail. That is just the impression I received from some folks in the past.

Back