Any tips for a first time Director?

Just wondering if there is any common issues people run into when doing their first feature film that would be so kind to share with a first timer about to start. :)

Your advice to "keep tha producers away whilst shooting"
seems unprofessional to me. At the very least it seems short
sighted.

On a purely professional production - where the suit bastard
producer cares only about money - it's good to remember it's
because of the hard work, dedication, skill, commitment and
contacts of that suit bastard producer that the director has a
job.

Also, on smaller productions--i.e. a company I work with all the time--the 'suit bastard' might be married to the director. :)

I have enjoyed reading SoulCinema's posts! I would add, coffee. Lot's of coffee. People have to have their caffeine drug to get going or keep going. The more coffee you have on a set, the easier the the cast and crew are to work with. They may be jittery from too much coffee but at least they are happy. Also, learn how to use a camera, well. On my first film, the camera guy cancelled after the cast had arrived! I read the manual and talked to another camera guy in tokyo while I was actually making the movie! Talk about tense! Now I wouldn't let another cameraman near the main camera! I know my cameras and how I want the scene to look and if I shoot the scene, watching the dailies is more a matter of looking for something out of frame that i didn't notice or looking for technical problems than deciding which takes to use because I saw the best take through the lens and know which one it was!

I have enjoyed reading SoulCinema's posts! I would add, coffee. Lot's of coffee. People have to have their caffeine drug to get going or keep going. The more coffee you have on a set, the easier the the cast and crew are to work with. They may be jittery from too much coffee but at least they are happy. Also, learn how to use a camera, well. On my first film, the camera guy cancelled after the cast had arrived! I read the manual and talked to another camera guy in tokyo while I was actually making the movie! Talk about tense! Now I wouldn't let another cameraman near the main camera! I know my cameras and how I want the scene to look and if I shoot the scene, watching the dailies is more a matter of looking for something out of frame that i didn't notice or looking for technical problems than deciding which takes to use because I saw the best take through the lens and know which one it was!

That’s good that you took responsibility, and jumped in as camera op and DP…just be aware, having the technical knowledge to use your camera does not make you a qualified DP or camera op. So many people think they can shoot a film, but they don’t realize how many little errors they are making. Balance, framing, movement, proximity, timing…even something as trivial and obvious as white balance.

DPs and camera ops who have been doing it for years don’t even have to think about many of the things beginners screw up with. The Director I work with a lot shoots his own films because he can’t find a DP/camera op that is not only quick and friendly…but someone who knows how to move and frame a shot properly. It seems easy right…people think, ‘hey I know what looks good, I watch a lot of films…I went to film school…’ But I can’t tell you how many times when trying out new DPs where the Director has called cut and told the DP that he needs to frame it more to the left, or right, or more head room, or center. You’d be amazed at how an inch here or there makes all the difference to a trained eye.

Also, you’ll save much more time getting an experienced DP/cam op because many times they won’t even need storyboards or a shot list…they’ll run through the scene angle to angle, knowing exactly what coverage they need. Often times novice shooters and DPS will take way longer than they should between setups or angles…

Anyway…find a talented, experienced DP/cam op…who believes in you and your projects—it’s worth it.

Good luck.

Wow, I just read through this whole thread, and a ton of great advise.

I think my biggest piece of advise to add to this is the pre-production thing.

Prepare every detail, analyze that script up and down. Be prepared for all possible barriers. Set guidelines to limit issues and maximize efficiency. The last thing you want to do is force the nice people who are working for free (food+drinks) to sit around while you try to figure something out.

Plan, plan and plan some more. Having everything ready in advance will instill confidence in all, and make life SO much easier.

whatever you do try not to yell at actors. Be firm bu acting like a dictator will just cause friction and its possible that actors and crew will get fed up and leave. In addition, when dealing with friends make sure you still are the boss of the film. I've had issues with some crew on films and the problem was that some people dont take thier friends as seriously as a stranger. Use the familiarity to get great performances, but maintain control.
Also sleep lots before production. you are going to need it.

Make sure you believe what the actors are doing. Don't settle for good takes, get great takes. No matter how pretty a frame looks, if the acting is bad the movie will be almost unwatchable.

1. believe that now matter what you'll mak it to th final wrap.
2. there is no such thing as a irrepairable damage. there is always a corrction procedure.
3. don't tell actors they stinked NO MATTER WHAT, never think like think, tell them I want it another way and never ever reveal that the shot stinked. the correct sentence is IT WAS NOT JUST WHAT YOU THOUGHT IN YOUR MIND.

regards,
ace.inc1

"Also, you’ll save much more time getting an experienced DP/cam op because many times they won’t even need storyboards or a shot list"

As a first time director I got so frazzled with other stuff I completely forgot to make a shot list, but my editor and DP (both experienced) were so on top of what was needed we didn't even notice. That being said, next film will have a shot list.

Back