The reasons you visit, and would want to visit IndieTalk

I would like to be able to visit IndieTalk...

• Total voters

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
Hey guys!

I wanted to post this poll just to get a grasp of what you would like to see out of IndieTalk! We're a forum and that's not changing, but we can improve in other areas and offer you many more tools for your films, careers, etc.

This poll is just to get a feel for what you come here for and what you would also come here for that is currently not offered. So please check all that apply, as to how you currently use and would like to use IndieTalk.

Check all that apply or add your own below!

Thanks!

To watch H44 finally make a film with no ifs or buts? Just kidding (or am I) Iv come a long way and it's all credit to this website, I would never have met the people I did or develop my skills without some people from this site, I do feel as though the site is dying a bit and perhaps it could use film news to spark debate such as new cameras, new lights etc perhaps even showcasing some of the filmmakers here work as a monthly special.

Either way, Iv come to a point where some of the questions I needed answering were only answerable by industry professionals so I think this site has done me a great job.

Thanks for the votes if you haven't please take a second to it will really help.

It really says something about our community when the top answer is:

"To answer questions and offer members help"

...helping others!

I would still like more results, but you guys are the greatest!

I recently stumbled across this site in trying to further expand on my screenwriting development. Pleased to see when I browse the rest of the topics that it is a resource for basically all aspects of film making on top of script writing. Minimal time here but the community has been very welcoming to date!

Thanks so far. I notice posting or finding paid crew positions is not high on anyone's list, with (1) vote. Is there a particular reason? Do you use another site for this and don't want it here? Do you not hire or work in the film biz professionally? I know many here offer paid crew slots so just wondering.

This is great because the reason I started this poll was for insights like this.

Thanks so far. I notice posting or finding paid crew positions is not high on anyone's list, with (1) vote. Is there a particular reason? Do you use another site for this and don't want it here? Do you not hire or work in the film biz professionally? I know many here offer paid crew slots so just wondering.

This is great because the reason I started this poll was for insights like this.

I think that's because there are much more active region specific sites which are dedicated to the task of recruiting. I've posted job listings on IT before but only for composer/VFX/editor roles, which can be done remotely and, even then, more out of loyalty to the site than actual pragmatism. It's just quicker and easier for me to use different sites to find UK-based crew.

The sites I use for this are predominantly Shooting People and Mandy (and CCP for cast). Used to use Talent Circle a lot, but I think it's closed.

Indeed true, if I were to add this ability it would be an improved structure with concentrated areas. I guess I could have phrased it more as "Find and post paid crew positions in a job-board type interface" or similar.

I have toyed with this as well as a sister site, as we have an optimal domain for it. It would have SSO login so you'd be able to login with IT credentials. :)

Or it could all be here, but the interest seems lower. The results make sense, this being a place to learn and discuss. But we can improve in this area if there is interest as it is a necessity at some point.

Indeed true, if I were to add this ability it would be an improved structure with concentrated areas. I guess I could have phrased it more as "Find and post paid crew positions in a job-board type interface" or similar.

I have toyed with this as well as a sister site, as we have an optimal domain for it. It would have SSO login so you'd be able to login with IT credentials. :)

Or it could all be here, but the interest seems lower. The results make sense, this being a place to learn and discuss. But we can improve in this area if there is interest as it is a necessity at some point.

I think I would definitely say do it separately, but retaining the IT brand and allowing forum members to log in directly (and vice versa). Could definitely help drive discussions from the postings onto the forum.

Not sure if there's much point in doing it worldwide though, as you may end up spreading yourself too thin and there are relatively few UK filmmakers on this forum to begin with (not to mention smaller countries/territories). I've seen several UK-based crewing websites crash in the past few years, simply because there isn't enough demand and most of the work is arranged through the major international player, Mandy, or pay-in crewing services like Shooting People or even BECTU. But if you focused on major North American hubs then you might well be able to drive enough traffic.

I think it's a pretty straightforward question. You want me to tell you how to answer?

Ok, I'll go with the nice, polite pleasant answer.

I'd like the site to stop playing second or third fiddle. I'd like it to be great at whatever it does, not a distant shadow of other available resources. I guess you're either looking for areas to look to either expand or improve.

I would like to be able to visit IndieTalk...
To ask members questions about filmmaking
To answer questions and offer members help
To find organized filmmaking tips and tutorials in a specific database
To read news/articles on filmmaking
To be able to post dedicated tutorials and/or articles
To post and promote my films
To watch films
To network with others in my area/build crews in my area etc
To list/browse paid-only crewing jobs
To socialize with other filmmakers and not always talk shop

Not trying to insult you or any members here, there's nothing on that list that Indietalk is either unique or the leading resource available.

Whatever you choose, be the best in that area.... or exclusive.

That is how I see it. That is what I want to see.

I thought you'd go brutally honest, you disappointed me. :)

I hear what you're saying, thanks.

I rarely use the internet to hire. I prefer personal recommendations from people I
know and trust. The few times I have I prefer a site that has hundreds of professionals
users. If "indietalk" were to become that site I would use it to hire. However, that
isn't one of the reasons I visit or would even want in this site.

In my experience the "free" sites do not have a high quality of crew members to
choose from. Great if I'm doing a "no pay" hire - not so good if I'm paying local
rates. It's time consuming to go through 50 to 100 responses from dedicated but
inexperienced crew members looking for a paid gig.

I forgot to put in the poll: The reason I come to IT...

"That helpful fellow named rik always provides the best answers to my filmmaking questions"

;)

Back