• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Hitting, Slapping, Punching Effects Help

Hi guys,
in my new film, there will be scenes where a character slaps someone with the back of his hands. There's also another part with a person throwing someone onto the floor (more like hitting her face, causing her to drop).

I haven't experienced with those effects before. But I'm guessing increasing the speed a little (for just a small selection of the clip) will make it look more realistic. Also, adding slapping sounds will make it look better too.

But I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it. I also can't find any decent sound effects online, that are free as well (any help on that one?).

Basically I need help on filming a slapping scene, and some scenes where characters drop to the floor.

Thanks,
Jeremy
www.twitter.com/jrhmy

Foley is a very large topic. You may want to check out THE FOLEY GRAIL - The Art of Performing Sound for Film, Games, and Animation By Vanessa Theme Ament; great book!

The first thing to remember is that you are not going to be recording real slaps, punches, etc.. The second is that fight sounds are layers of sounds; one sound with a lot of hi end for impact, one with a lot of mids for "meat" and another with low end for the power; you mix'n'match depending upon how hard the hit and how much you want it to hurt.

Body falls are fairly easy, just drop a sack of potatoes on whatever surface is required from the top of a step ladder.

I'm still getting the hang of fight sounds. I've gotten some good results with a leather jacket zipped up around an old futon and smacking it with a baseball bat for punches. I use something flat (like a cricket bat or ping-pong paddle) and wet down the leather for slaps and smacks. There's lots of stuff I want to try after having just read Foley Grail, however.

There are lots of great on-line articles out there and dozens of different techniques; just Goggle up "creating Foley."

Back