• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to designate a particular area of the screen...

I have a fishing video and I'm trying to focus attention on a fish jumping in the distance. I'm trying to dim everything accept for a small circle where the fish jumps. Any ideas on how to get this done? Thanks.

Create a quick mask, with a hole in it.

Set opacity to zero - when you need the highlight, raise opacity to 10% (or whatever works for you). Everything should darken slightly, except for the hole.

Thanks. while I have you here...

I'm adding a about 4 or 5 lines of txt and I guess I need "word wrap" because it's all in one line stretching off of the screen???

Dunno what software you're using, but in Premiere you hit CTRL+ENTER to break a line at a certain point. (Or just plain ENTER to break into a new paragraph)

You can also create text-boxes, and type into those. Your text will auto-fill the boundaries, if using those.

You can also create a vignette effect (similar to the mask described above), where you use a circle or oval to highlight the fish, and use the feathering of the mask to make it subtle.

Back