• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

First script... super lost

Hey everyone

So I'm trying my first script and I feel I'm running in circles.

I read and understand the theory - the structure, the genres, that characters must arc etc. But I just can't put a skeleton together.

I keep jumping from idea to idea. Sometimes I have a beginning and an ending but don't know how to fill the middle. Sometimes I have a character and nothing else. Sometimes just a theme.

Do you guys follow some process when you write? Do you start with something in particular, like a theme or a message you want audience to take away?

Super lost. Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm not really a scriptwriter, but my first question is:
How much time did you spend on each idea before jumping to the next?
And what did you write/do with that idea to try to make it work?

By understanding your proces, we can maybe offer you new perspectives :)

I'm not really a scriptwriter, but my first question is:
How much time did you spend on each idea before jumping to the next?
And what did you write/do with that idea to try to make it work?

By understanding your proces, we can maybe offer you new perspectives :)

So I'm trying to write a 10-15 minute short that is shootable on little to no budget, except basic equipment.

The first script I wrote was about sports. The problem was it required a competition, which meant 100s of people and was unshootable. I only realized that by the end. But that's fine.

So from that I figured I need to focus on stories that involve <5 actors. I picked thriller for genre.

Currently I'm trying to go down the route of psycho thriller / heist via con job. So not a bank robbery (too expensive to shoot) - but think a well planned con executed mostly through dialogue that results in a heist. I'm trying to write it in a way that the audience doesn't k now it's a heist until last moment.

I came up with multiple variations of endings / beginnings / motivations for protagonist - but I can't come up with a good con story that doesn't sound unreal (think Now You See Me where most things are explained with hypnosis).

That's kind of where I am

simplify simplify simplify

You're making this far too difficult.
Write something about 3 or 4 characters who are having a disagreement or facing a challenge.

I start with a simple premise, such as -
Joe has World Series tickets, but it's his wife's birthday and she hates baseball.
or
Suzie is offered the promotion she's always dreamed of on the same day her fiancé proposes marriage - unfortunately, each would require a move to a different city.

@OP
I'm in a rush now, but your explaination gives a totally different impression than your first post.
Mara is right: keep it simple.
Complexity comes when you master simple. :)

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of spit-balling, aka brainstorming.

Get together with a friend, or maybe a couple of friends, and just toss ideas around. I prefer one-on-one interaction with someone whom I vibe with. One of us tosses up an idea and the other lobs it back, but with a different spin.

Depending on who I'm talking with, the mood of our conversation can be highly academic or unapologetically sophomoric and goofy.

ANYTHING that comes to mind, just say it. Almost every single idea that's mentioned might sound fun but is actually a really bad idea. But the more bad ideas you throw out, the more likely it becomes that one of those bad ideas makes someone think of an interesting spin that is really a great idea.

In a nutshell, I'm encouraging you to make sure that your screenwriting process is not just you alone, trying to figure out stories by yourself. Talk to other people. Lots of other people. Share your ideas with them. See what they toss back.

Best of luck! :D

I think you have to visualize your point first; perhaps there are so many writers who start from nowhere -like I do it, sometimes-, but you have to construct what you gone do, even if you have to start to think in something for the very first time in the particular way of a writer.

You could only have one character, inside his/her house... but a BIG and powerful conflict, with infinite possible ramifications, laberinths;

As a sample, I was working on this idea: the hell and heaven at the same place:
"After a cosmetic surgery, a woman on her 40´s (the unique and main character) just is not happy... and there is no return." She need to scape, but there is no way out.

So I'm trying to write a 10-15 minute short that is shootable on little to no budget, except basic equipment.

The first script I wrote was about sports. The problem was it required a competition, which meant 100s of people and was unshootable. I only realized that by the end. But that's fine.

So from that I figured I need to focus on stories that involve <5 actors. I picked thriller for genre.

Currently I'm trying to go down the route of psycho thriller / heist via con job. So not a bank robbery (too expensive to shoot) - but think a well planned con executed mostly through dialogue that results in a heist. I'm trying to write it in a way that the audience doesn't k now it's a heist until last moment.

I came up with multiple variations of endings / beginnings / motivations for protagonist - but I can't come up with a good con story that doesn't sound unreal (think Now You See Me where most things are explained with hypnosis).

That's kind of where I am

I think you are being over-ambitious for your first script. Make it 2-4 characters in a 5 to 6 pager. Keep is simple and linear.

You can write a sports script without the 100-people spectators. For example, it is not unusual for a few players to get together for practice, say for a scrimage game. They want to work on a particular play, or with a new team member. There are 100+ stories in simple ideas that you can run with.

You just need conflict and authenticity.

Let's say you have a high school football team that has its first female player. Some of the team - and school and faculty and parents - don't agree with it, but it's a done deal. She's on the team.

She wants to be quarterback and has proved her abilities. But that is not enough. So three team members get together with her to do some scrimage. Get to know each other and how each moves and makes decisions.

Conflict can come from the greater lack of support in the school and community, or from one player in the scrimage who sees this as a mistake. Or both.

Your story will hinge on who you want to be right.

The beginning and the end are almost always the easiest points to figure out. 'I want to writer a story about this or that, and I want it to end with these results'. The middle IS the tough part - it is the story you set out to tell, and it is your 'argument' for the results you want your audience to accept as authentic.

So, if you set out to write about a football team's first female quaterback, with the result being that the team and community - for the most part - will eventually accept her, then you need to present a convincing argument that she earned her place. THAT is your story.

You need to challenger her, and you need to challenge those who don't agree with her, and their reasons for doing so. Nobody gets off easy.

Sports story, 4 characters, one location.

Beginning: A 'girl' is on the team.
End: The team and community accept it, and support it - for the most part.
Middle: Every kick, punch, bite and rough-and-tumble reason she should NOT be on the team, and every kick, punch, bite and rough-and-tumble reasons she SHOULD be on the team.

See how easy it is to write a story ?!!

Don't over-think your stories right off the bat. Complex stories with underlying themes and such can all come later as you flesh out your own unique storytelling habits. Visualize the emotions each character will experience, and understan WHY they feel the way they do. Write your back stories.

a

Last edited:
Back