• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What camera movement equipment should I have in this case?

I have gotten some offers to shoot some projects. I actually am just learning directing right now, and in the past I have gotten separate videographers to do the video shooting. However, when I tell people I am trying to break into film directing they assume that I am a videographer as well and want me to fill that job.

I got an offer to shoot some promotional videos, and they want me to be the videographer. So if I take this job, I am probably going to need some equipment to move the camera to make a better impression.

All I have right now is a fluid head tripod and that's it, along with a DSLR. So in order to move the camera more than the tripod can I get either get a dolly, a slider, a jib, or a shoulder cam sytem.

I am unusually tall so I don't know if the shoulder cam is the best idea as I would have to crotch down a lot while walking around to get the movement shots.

So what do you think is best to get. Dolly perhaps?

However, when I tell people I am trying to break into film directing they assume that I am a videographer as well and want me to fill that job.

There always seems to be confusion when you get jobs, like the acting job you assumed was in your state.

This one is easy:

"they assume that I am a videographer as well and want me to fill that job."

You:

"I am not a videographer."

Yeah but if I say that I might not get the job, and I should take opportunities where I can get them. Plus, I don't think I am the one who is confused about the job, I think the guy who asked me was. I told him that I am wanting to build my directing portfolio, and he said "great, I am looking for a videographer to shoot some promotional videos. Are you interested?"

So he is the one that asked me to do it, even though I am not one. I don't think there is any confusion on my part.

Last edited:
If you don't want to shoot don't take shooting jobs, it's pretty simple.

If you want to bartend, do you take the line cook job just because???

So you want to buy a bunch of equipment because someone thinks you can do something you don't really want to do???

So he is the one that asked me to do it, even though I am not one. I don't think there is any confusion on my part.

Dude! Why not tell him you are not one, or you are interested, and explain to him you work with a crew and you are a director? See. You end up looking like the confused one. This is like, someone thinks you do sound, so you say yes and go buy a bunch of sound equipment, instead of just talking to the person! Like the acting thing. You are the one that is letting the confusion thing get to this point.

Okay thanks. Well for that acting gig before, my agent told me it was in my city, and then later the producer tells me it's not so I thought it was the producer who was the one that lead that misleading, and not myself.

For this though, I don't have to take the job, but the same time I should go out there and get experience to learn, and get more videos to put under my belt, in order to be taken more seriously, shouldn't I?

I don't know what you are are asking really.

Do you need vidoegraphy experience? Can you take the job and fulfill the duties? There's your answer. If you want to focus on direction only like you originally stated, why are you even asking this or considering it?

Or hire a videographer with the gear so you can direct.
However, that will increase cost and thus risk for the client.
Do you have any idea on how to tell a 'corporate story'?
What is the budget?

Or hire a videographer with the gear so you can direct.
However, that will increase cost and thus risk for the client.
Do you have any idea on how to tell a 'corporate story'?
What is the budget?

Yes, that's what I meant by crew. As far as risking the job, all it takes is a conversation. I'm sure he does not expect a "one man band" so either they have other crew or will work with crew he can bring on, but all it takes is talking to the person instead of us.

I would suggest you ask for a phone meeting so you can go over details. In email, it could be shut down before you get a chance to explain what you need.

"This sounds like a great opportunity, I would love to discuss this with you further, could we set up a time to talk by phone?"

If it turns out to be a "one man band" situation without any wiggle room, then, decide if that is something you want.

Your mistake was you saying yes and leading to person to actually think that you can do said job. Instead, you should have just told them then you don't have that kind of experience. This is why many of us on this board for years keep telling you to do just experiment on your own.

Other than gas money, you don't need thousands of dollars to shoot stuff. There are people out there that are willing to do stuff for cheap or even free. Just gather some friends and shoot. That's all it takes to gather experience. Does it differ from experience in the professional world? Yes, but at least you can tinker around and see what you're actually capable of.

I got an offer to shoot some promotional videos, and they want me to be the videographer. So if I take this job, I am probably going to need some equipment to move the camera to make a better impression.

Equipment is not about making a better impression. It is about making shots that matter to the story.
Never buy or use gear to boost your ego or inflate your 'image'.
:P

Yes, you should get experience.
But should you gain experience at the cost of a business paying you?

Did you already:
1) get anybriefings?
2) figured out what their budget is?
These 2 things are important if you are considering the job.

To answer your question, if you have a dslr and want something to look decent purchase a glidecam or a chinese knockoff from CAME, and get a slider. Learn to use those two and you'll be a videographer in no time. But then you'll realize that light is important.

Okay thanks, I was thinking of the glidecam as well. Do you think that if a I get a glidecam, I could use it to fill a slider's role as well? I mean instead of moving a slider, from left to right, or forward and backward, could I just do that with the glidecam, and achieve a very similar result?

Yes and no.
A slider move is repeatable (only the speed will differ in between takes) and takes less strength and stamina.
However, it takes time to set it up properly.

A glidecam gives you more freedom to move around, but you have to be in good physical shape.

So yes, you can make sideward and forward movements with a glidecam or any combination of those vectors. Make sure you practise a lot. And train your arm and backmuscles regularly. Otherwise you'll be exhausted in 20 minutes.

Back