Power Rangers

The superhero demographic is way younger than that and we are talking teenagers.
You might be talking teenagers but according to the MPAA "Theatrical
Marketing Statistics" 2015 (the 2016 one hasn't been released) the
typical age of the superhero movie goer is 22 to 36. Teenagers make
up about 12% of the total people who see superhero movies in the
theaters. That rises to 22% for home media - still lower than the
20 and up demographic. For home media the 40 to 60 demodraphic
is higher then the teenagers - 34%

I loved Power Rangers 2017. I believe it was meant primarily for the audience that dropped out after the original MMPR and always wanted to it on a mature level... because that's apparently cool... You weren't gonna get the niche audience because that in of itself is a small audience. It definitely isn't for the kids and if the PG-13 rating isn't enough for you to see that that you're obviously only going by name itself.

As more and more content gets made, your best bet is to go niche and not broad. They were clearly targeting the die-hard fans of the series, which is a smart move, regardless of the film's quality.

Then, as always, you can count on the foreign audiences that like big dumb action movies, since it's harder to market a dialogue-driven film to them. I mean, Japan alone could've been their target audience from the beginning. This is right up their alley.
Unfortunately for Lionsgate they didn't get the Japanese market. This
is one of the few films that did less business outside of North America
- $85mil domestic, $54mil international.

Not all films work. This is one of them. Maybe going for a G or PG rating
and marketing it to kids would have worked. But very few non-animated
G and PG movies make money. I think it was a wise decision to go after
the people who were kids in the early 90's with a slightly more adult
version. They failed, but I suspect that going for the under 18 demographic
would have failed, too.

Unfortunately for Lionsgate they didn't get the Japanese market. This
is one of the few films that did less business outside of North America
- $85mil domestic, $54mil international.

Not all films work. This is one of them. Maybe going for a G or PG rating
and marketing it to kids would have worked. But very few non-animated
G and PG movies make money. I think it was a wise decision to go after
the people who were kids in the early 90's with a slightly more adult
version. They failed, but I suspect that going for the under 18 demographic
would have failed, too.

Yeah. Their failure doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't a good plan. But it wasn't really original either. Transformers and Ninja Turtles got there first. And fans of those series WANTED a serious adult version of those shows (I doubt they wanted Michael Bay, though.) It's also just become kind of natural that adapting something into a film means you'll be making it more adult and serious than it originally was (see Batman for the most obvious example)

You weren't gonna get the niche audience because that in of itself is a small audience.

I'm not sure how many people watched the original series, but you're definitely wrong about that. Hell, the merchandising is still huge all these years later: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mighty-morphin-power-rangers-just-639464

Even the Marvel superhero movies are going after a niche. Niche ≠ small.

Last edited:
There are plenty of movies that appeal to both adults and children.

It's probably not fair to use guardians of the galaxy 1 or 2 because thats setting the bar so high.
Still - none of the villains there will give the children nightmares! it's a lot more convenient if people can take their kids with them to the movie instead of hiring a babysitter. making it for adults is one thing.. taking a childrens show and making it horror that is just mind boggling.

Regarding what gives kids nightmares; that's highly unique, isn't it?

You may be surprised what does and does not affect individual kids.

Perhaps you are right; that the movie failed because it gave kids nightmares
so parents wouldn't take them. It's pretty difficult for a studio to really know
what turned people away from seeing it. Maybe if it had been more like the
1995 movie it would have succeeded.

Other than your personal opinion, do you recall any backlash about this version
being too scary for kids? I honestly don't remember. I'm outside of the demographic
for the movie and don't have many pre-teens in my circle of friends and family. I
know several in the 25 to 35 range who really liked this and one 10 year old boy who
loved it. Not a good representation.

if people can take their kids with them to the movie instead of hiring a babysitter. making it for adults is one thing.. taking a childrens show and making it horror that is just mind boggling.

I didn't see any more horror with the villain, than say an X-MEN movie. My kids liked it. Then again. Frankly, this was the first POWER RANGERS anything that I could actually sit through.

I don't know if there was any specific "backlash"
There was an interview where elizabeth banks said she made a mistake of accidentally facetiming her own children while she was in the makeup and she scared them.

I saw X-men apocalypse is playing on HBO Family tonight.
Power Rangers doesn't feel like an HBO family to me.. especially not when you open the film with a joke about jacking off a cow

Back