Problem importing footage from DV tape

Hi guys

I've got a slight problem with importing footage on to computer and wondering if anyone could help out.

Back ground information:
Now days, i mostly film with my friend/camera man's DSLR, and there's no problem with that. But deep in my closet hides a Canon MV800i consumer grade camera from a few years back, which uses DV tape. Recently, i am planning for my next project, and was considering using it as a second camera. The camera can take quite good quality footage despite being old. We could link it up to a 52" 1080p HD TV and the image looks flawless

But the problem is, as soon as i plug it into a computer, the most i can get it to import is 640x480... which sucks, there's no way i can put that along side the DSLR in the same scene.

So i'd just like to ask why this is happening. Is it because the camera is an old model, the analogue to digital converter built in is bad? or something i'm doing wrong with the import? or could i get an adapter of some kind? or do i just need something else to read the data off the DV tape?

Thanks in advance

Really?! mmm... then it must be something else, because somehow it looks WAYYYYY better when played directly to the television than after i put it onto the computer and then back on to the TV.... Any idea why that happens?

Back