Rode NTG 1 with Zoom H1?

Hi,

I recently bought the Rode NTG 1 and was given the Zoom H1 as a present. I was wondering if it was possible for the two to work. I couldn't find any cable adapters that could connect the two. Do you suggest I keep the Zoom H1 with the Rode NTG 1 if there are adapters? Or do you think I should refund the Zoom H1 and get the Zoom H4N?

Please help!

Thanks!

Hi, mdkilinc!

Unfortunately, those two devices are incompatible. If it were simply a matter of adapting XLR from the NTG-1 to the 1/8" TRS mic input on the H1, you'd be okay. The challenge is that the NTG-1 requires +48v phantom power over XLR connection, which the H1 does not offer. You could interconnect the two by putting a small mixer in between, but that would be more expensive than upgrading either the recorder, or the mic (the NTG-2 is the same mic, but also can be powered from an internal AA battery).

One other thing: both the NTG-1 and NTG-2 have pretty lousy output levels. Since their signals are lower, you'll need good preamps with clean gain to be able to record at a decent level without lots of noise.

How about replacing both the mic and the recorder? The Audio-Technica AT875r is pretty dang good for the price: cheaper than the NTG-1/2 and with a hotter output. And perhaps the Tascam DR-60DmkII would be a better fit as well (and less expensinve than the H4n). Better preamps, though I still wouldn't rely on the NG-1/2, and it can be put in a small bag where you can still see the display screen and access the controls. Those handheld recorders like the H1 and the H4n are a bit clumsy in the field when you're using them with boomed mics.

Hi,

Thanks for your response AcousticAl.

I am afraid I can't replace the NTG 1 and my main objective is to record video. I intended to record all my audio externally.

So if its not possible for the two to be compatible will upgrading to the Zoom H4N work with my NTG 1?

I'd take the DR-60DmkII over the H4n.

Just know that, either way, you may still encounter a little noise in your signal. It may still be better than what your camera can record, but it's worth knowing beforehand so there aren't any unpleasant surprises.

Thanks!

So if I decide to purchase either the DR-60DmkII or the H4N I wouldn't need any extra things, right?
Also, is the DR-60DmkII much better than the H4N? I am only a beginner but intend to learn everything about the product I buy, however, I would prefer to buy the product which is best for a beginner.

So if I decide to purchase either the DR-60DmkII or the H4N I wouldn't need any extra things, right?

You'll need XLR cable to connect the mic to the recorder.

You'll need good, closed-back headphones for monitoring. If you aren't listening, you aren't recording. You may as well shoot video without ever looking at the LCD screen.

You'll need a boom pole, shockmount, and ample windscreening for the mic.

Also, is the DR-60DmkII much better than the H4N? I am only a beginner but intend to learn everything about the product I buy, however, I would prefer to buy the product which is best for a beginner.

As far as learning curve, they're about the same. As far as quality, I'd take the Tascam over the Zoom any day. And like I said, handheld recorders generally suck in terms of physical design when you're using them for narrative dialog with a boomed mic. The Tascam will be much more useful for that.

Also, most of these low-cost recorders eat AA batteries for lunch. The Tascam can be powered from its USB port, so getting one of those backup batteries people use to recharge their phones and tablets is also a good idea... you can run for a couple days on the right sized battery.

As far as quality, I'd take the Tascam over the Zoom any day.

AMEN!

The Tascam DR-70D (US$215) and the DR-60 (US$170) are aimed specifically at the indie film crowd, and far superior (IMHO) than Zoom products in build and sound quality.

If you decide to keep the H1 you'll need something like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1145659-REG/kopul_rsmxm_01_stereo_1_8_mini_male.html

IS472393-01-01-BIG.jpg

Wait, so it is possible to use the H1 and NTG 1 with that cable? Do you reckon the quality will be good?

No, it is not. That cable would work with the NTG-2 if the mic had a AA battery (and the results would be rather disappointing), but again the NTG-1 requires phantom power that the H1 does not offer, and the mic has no battery option.

Oh okay. Sorry haha. So basically, if I purchased the H4N or DR-60 I wouldn't need anything else except for the cable because they provide phantom power, correct?

You'll need batteries, lots and lots of batteries. Or battery packs. Until you get a higher-end mixer/recorder you'll find that budget and mid-priced units eat batteries like a shark going through a school of tuna when they supply phantom power to the mic(s).

Back