• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How can I mention character’s look perfectly?

The character’s look shows the audience who she/he is, too. (I mean, can you imagine a cowboy without horse or the typical hat? A cheerleader (at the training) without the pompoms or those typical clothing?) But how do you mention it without being annoying in the script?

It depends on how prominent this character is. Extra or secondary character? You already provided your answer "COWBOY" or "CHEERLEADER" is all that's needed because the visual you described is already built into the term. DOCTOR, POLICEMAN/FIREMAN, SOLDIER, etc. if these are all secondary characters, then all you need is the above. Calling them DOCTOR is the description.

If they are main characters then more description is warranted to set the visual image of what they look like and how their presence is portrayed on screen. Enough to paint the picture in a minimalistic way IMHO is the way to go.

Here's how Darabont introduces ANDY DUFRESNE in The Shawshank Redemption. It's rather long:

ANDY DUFRESNE, mid-20's, wire rim glasses, three-piece suit.
Under normal circumstances a respectable, solid citizen; hardly
dangerous, perhaps even meek. But these circumstances are far
from normal. He is disheveled, unshaven, and very drunk. A
cigarette smolders in his mouth. His eyes, flinty and hard, are
riveted to the bungalow up the path.

RED:

RED enters, removes his cap and waits by the chair.

Here's how Taylor Sheridan did it in Hell or Highwater even for seconary characters:

ELSIE WALBERGER, 60, and heavy, curlers in her hair, waddles
past us to the entrance of the bank.

A ‘78 Buick in mint condition comes to a stop in front of the
bank. MR. CLAUSON, 50’s, bit of a belly and barely any hair,
climbs out and looks up at the bank sign, digitally
displaying the time and temperature.

Main Characters:

TOBY HANSON, late 30’s, a kind face marked by years of sun
and disappointment, rides shotgun. It’s not the face of a
thief, it is the face of a farmer.
Behind the wheel is TANNER HANSON, 40, his brother’s opposite
in every way: mustache, shaggy hair, an air of danger that
attracts as many women as it repels.

... can you imagine a cowboy without horse or the typical hat? A cheerleader (at the training) without the pompoms or those typical clothing?
Yes I can imagine a cowboy without a horse or a typical hat.

If you set the scene:

EXT. SPORTS FIELD - DAY

The cheerleaders are in the middle of their routine when Jane runs
onto the field.

I will know that they are wearing those typical clothing and carrying
the pompoms. No need to tell the reader what they are wearing unless
it's not typical. If they are all in Wookie costumes, you need to write
that. If they are wearing what we all know is typical clothing you don't.

The same way you don't need to write a cop is wearing a uniform, badge, and holster with a pistol. Unless he ISN'T.

If the appearance item is significant for the audience you can mention it in an action and possibly even put it in brackets within the dialogue for the first time a character speaks. This is a very trained, conscious character:

FBI Agent Charles
(pushes his black-rimmed glasses up his nose)
Where's the rest of this dossier?

If the appearance item is significant for the audience you can mention it in an action and possibly even put it in brackets within the dialogue for the first time a character speaks. This is a very trained, conscious character:

FBI Agent Charles
(pushes his black-rimmed glasses up his nose)

I'd stay away from parentheticals that lengthy. If it's more than a word or two, the general thought is to go ahead and just include it as an action line. Such as:

FBI Agent Charles pushes his black-rimmed glasses up his nose.

FBI AGENT CHARLES

Thank you sir.

Perhaps:

FBI AGENT CHARLES
(wearing monkey suit)

For that I would still make it an action line. If you decide to use parentheticals, I recommend reserving them for two purposes: noting who the character is speaking to if there are multiple characters speaking in one conversation. Example:

TIM, ALEX, and SAM walk down a quiet road.

TIM
I don't care what she said, I still like her as a person.

ALEX
Seriously?

SAM
(to Alex)
Why are you surprised? You don't care about her.

TIM
(to Alex)
Yes, seriously.
(to Sam)
Maybe he does.

And the second would be to denote a tone or minor direction. This is debatable. The professor I learned under did a study in England for one of his Master classes in writing, and they found most actors completely disregard and often miss whatever is notated in the parentheticals. Nonetheless, should you find yourself wanting to use them for this purpose, this is an example:

TIM
(whispers)
I'm not sure how to get out of here.

Now we are completely off topic.

Do either of you have advice on the subject of character descriptions?
Or only the use of parentheticals?

I agree.

This is out of my screenplay:

Jeff
(preppy)
Thanks, f**er.

Bottom line from my digression: I would only use character descriptions that are something you can see (then use projection into their personality) from observation, but include select adjectives rather than minute detail.
Shawshank translation: "worn down in a formal suit, concerned."
The screenplay was likely coveted by select famous actors which permitted transcending traditional writing rules.
Then we would have to discuss the mention of props in a screenplay: a cigarette, a tote bag, a manila folder...
I keep description minimal and then attach "character breakdowns" to a movie package. A professional would ask for this rather than want a novelistic screenplay. I made mine from my book and got criticized from long descriptions unless they were montages.
I also keep description minimal to compensate for long speeches in my movies so that the page count is still an estimate of the minutes in the movie.
Totally agree with the parentheses arguments; just wanted to make a point on script readability.

Back