• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch KNIGHT WITCH 48HFP short

Love that face twitching effect!
What time did you wrap saturday night?
I think the pace of the edit is a bit slow sometimes.

Nevertheless: well done in 48 hours.

(We wrapped at 19:30 because of daylight and to make sure we had time to edit.)

Ha ha! That face is me. I added an After Effects distortion twirl to it.

What time did you wrap saturday night?

We didn't shoot Saturday night. We wrapped Sat morning, around 8am. Two of the actors had to be at other shoots, for other teams, that day. Although, I did shoot the GoPro timelapse clouds (that big swirl that her face is in), during Sat sunset.

The sunrise was Sun morning. I just kept editing in between, then started the music score at 4pm, Sunday! Did the music in about 75 minutes; just kept improving the same 3 chords, but with different moods (Tension, Overture, Piano theme, etc.). Slept for 3 hours Sat morning and 2 hours, Sun morning.

I think the pace of the edit is a bit slow sometimes.

I could have cut the grocery bags dropping, but I wanted to max that actor's screen time. Most of it is how I like, but some pacing had to do with lack of takes and coverage. For instance, when she says, "Stop talking" at the end - I should have instructed her to cut him off, sooner, or taken a seperate shot of her.

(We wrapped at 19:30 because of daylight and to make sure we had time to edit.)

Yeah, our parking lot scene was supposed to be night, but we just ran out of time. It kept raining, so the outdoor scenes were taken when we could.

I actually had a much bigger vision, with the bad guys driving Ivy's (the witch girl) Ford Mustang and her flipping it over. Two things: the rain didn't allow for outdoor greenscreen, and actors couldn't drive stick! It had a funky clutch and she didn't trust a novice to drive. We were at the roadside location and she said, "I don't want them driving my car." I didn't know what to say, as the centerpiece vehicle was now unavailable.

We put the actors in the same SUV that the candidate was driving. To explain this, I masked the same SUV into the two vehicles you see in the parking lot. That was the same car! Worked though.

Thanks for watching! I look forward to seeing your project.

Oh wow, you shot friday night?

Our script was finished at 6:00am on saturday. On 7:00 am the actors arrived on set.
On 19:30 we wrapped and had pizza.
On sunday at 7:00 we had image lock.
At 18:30 the movie was rendered.

Anyway: well done 48 hours is killing.

It sounds like you put a good amount of time on your script. Cool.

Early on, I asked Ivy what she drove. She offered up her Mustang and I wanted to possibly feature an auto accident in this 48 or some other movie. Did some test shots:

Mustang.jpg

Come Friday, those aspirations got rained out. In fact, the Mustang could not be in the movie, at all. Instead, here's the SUV that I made two of:

SUVs.jpg

Oh wow, you shot friday night?

Yeah, I've done the Friday night thing, 4 times, now. I've also shot 3 others on Saturdays. My preferred approach is something like this:

Friday
Write script from 8pm - 11pm (20:00 - 23:00 hours)
Shoot till approx sun up, Saturday.

Saturday
Sleep 3 or 4 hours
Shoot effects/greenscreen
Edit

Sunday
Sleep 2 or 3 hours
Edit
Sound Effects and backgrounds
Score music
render

On the way to the drop-off, my wife's car got a flat tire! We left it on the side of the road and went back for my truck. Made it!

We planned to have the script somewhere after midnight, but it took longer.
In the meantime I decided I wanted a topshot, so me and one the producers were thinking how to achieve that. 2 hours later a crazy but safe contruction made it possible.
We wrapped still at the same time as we hoped, despite the script being ready quite late. Our storyboarder didn't have time to storyboard at all...

We had someone starting with the edit while we were still shooting. The moment first cut was done I was woken up (after only 2 hours of rest) to take a look at it and finish the cut with fresh eyes.

We had a composer, colorist and sound mixer standing by to jump in when image was locked.
While that was being handled our designer created the titles, so I could put them in place and assemble the edit from all the sources (color, sound, music).

BTW, great trick with the car. Didn't notice it :)

Last edited:
The editing could have been tighter and some of the acting was bad (although I thought the start doing guy was good). My biggest complaint was that it didn't engage me enough. When the woman found out the girl was kidnapped, her reaction was too minimal. I also found the kidnapped girl seemed more bored than scared. Maybe that's what you were going for, but that sorta jarred me out of the movie.

Otherwise, I think there are good spots such as in the script and cinematography. Any more flicks?

Thanks for watching, Dana. I agree with most of what you said. I had grander expectations of what this project should have been. We got a genre that we liked, but the weather and some other big issues really changed our course. Considering circumstances, I'm happy with what was able to be pieced together, and with the team's performance. Inconsistencies can be blamed on my direction, that night. The talent was there.

Any more flicks?

I like these, particularly the first one:

BUG COMPLEX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdruwjYD1zU

THE CONTINGENCY PLAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi2wLA175WQ

THREE STRIPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLtdhqZ-3w

TEQUILA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVKQ9m0YzWU

SCREAMIN' DEMON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOW-9MhtaU4

A SOLDIER'S SON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2utfNl8qznU

Also, check out my funny promos on the Rabid Puppy thread.

Back