A Prodution Company don't?

I have a just started a production company; mainly to make my own films to get exposure and showcase my talent, and the easiest way to do that I would imagine is to start my own company. I eventually just want to write.

To pay the bills I was going to focus on Commercials and advertising, as well as put my own works in as shorts and feature films.

My question is this, Is it okay to connect my own (sometimes, but not always edgy) films to the site. Will it affect the choice of the client to go with my company?

If I am to get business for the company, should I branch off and create a separate entity to show my work as not to scare away prospective clients? Or is the artistic aspect of a production company usually overlooked when doing commercials?

Last edited:
This is a really good question and something I struggle with in my company. Although I don't normally do anything edgy, I have a tough time deciding whether to keep my more artsy work separate from my paying work (which is very corporate and stuffier in nature). I always worry about running the risk of my company not being taken very seriously by my clients who favor a more business like consulting approach. I think my case is a little different, because I sell myself to my clients as a consultant rather than a production company. I think if you're going to bill yourself as a production company, the odds that potential clients will be turned off by any projects you promote on your website is somewhat less. Still I would lean towards keeping anything potentially offensive off my marketing materials (which includes my website). The way my site is setup, I broke it into three sections: Production (for my "in development" projects and creative stuff, distribution (to promote things I or others make), and consulting (for my shirt and tie clients). The thing I do keep away from is putting up my "less than profressional" works like my short films I've made for contests, etc. because I do think these lower the perceived value of my services in my clients eyes.

Great, thanks. I guess creating an entity that is more focused on the possibly offenseive stuff would be wiser.

You do consulting? What do you do exactly?

Last edited:
Right now I have CootDog Productions which is fine for me mess'n around.. but I think that when I open up a Post Shop, it will be named something different. CDP will always be there for my indie films, but anything above that and client work will be done under another business name.
I mean look at Disney. What do they own? They don't release everything under Disney right? They have something separate for the edgy stuff.

Well you're already on the right path. Advertize!!! and Promote!!!

- Make a website.
- Make some films
- Promote those films and site
- Signiture on forums and emails
- Entries into contests
- Entries into festivals
- Press Release like PRweb or something like that
- Get Interviewed by someone
- Write an article about making the filme you just made and spread it around
- See if some indie tv stations will play your film or at least a teaser or trailer

The list goes on and on and on!

I have both on my website but in different sections. For my films I have a section called Produced Films which showcase the films I've made. Another section is called Industrial Projects which is for commercials, information videos, etc. Doesn't seem to have confused anyone yet.

I wouldn't be so worried about confusing someone, I would be worried about losing business based upon some of the content associated with the company. Sometimes something that is about drugs or violence or sex, could tarnish your image, thus making a prospective client choose another.

wattersk said:
I wouldn't be so worried about confusing someone, I would be worried about losing business based upon some of the content associated with the company. Sometimes something that is about drugs or violence or sex, could tarnish your image, thus making a prospective client choose another.

I suppose it really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to make movies or do you want to work in advertisement? I've known a lot of people who choose the first but do the second to make enough money to stay afloat but, in doing so, they get sucked into doing advertisement exclusively.

I choose movies so I don't care if potential clients are offended. I have other side projects that can keep enough money rolling in and this allows me to dedicate more time to filmmaking. This way my company name is getting out there and, possibly, those clients might one day become investors.

Personally, if someone is offended by one of my movies or isn't interested in working with me because they don't like the stories I tell then I don't care. I've watched a lot of people in advertisement allow themselves to be walked all over by the client... they bend over backwards making deals that cripple their business. I refuse to go down that road. Has it hurt me getting potential clients? Most definitely. But am I happier and saner with what I do and the people I work with/for? Yes.

I had not thought of the possibilty of eventually focusing all of your time into advertising.

I also suppose owning your own business is a way that you don't have to bend over backwards for someone else; why would anyone want to?

I'm getting a little confused by the conversation now. (Sorry... just got back from four hours of auditions.) Are you asking how much can be made in the advertising field or are you asking how much I would need before devoting my time to advertisement? As for animation it all depends on what time of advertisement you're going to do. I would recommend specialize in one thing and bring other people you know who have stronger skills in other areas in on specific projects.

Back