Do you need a production company name before you begin making a feature film?

The most common question I get asked by my actors is "What production company will this movie be under?" in which I answer plainly "None" and some actors will drop out of the project because of that. Is it important to establish a production company name before you start making a feature film?

Do you need a production company name before you begin making a feature film?

No you don't. You also don't need a multi-million dollar budget and an A-list director, though you're going to get some people to believe the opposite and won't get involved unless certain parameters are set.

While I don't personally have the issue you've described, there may be an issue with people not trusting your abilities and requiring some sort of "assurances" that you can complete the job to a level they'll be happy with.

As an aspiring member of the film and entertainment community a production company name is something that can be identified as you; it's a marketing tool.

When I started Alcove Audio Productions the name was physically accurate and it was also a joke. All of my audio gear - two keyboards, a mixing console, a DAT, a MIDI sequencer, etc. - was crammed into an alcove in our tiny apartment. I did arrangements for my band and others, a commercial here and there, whatever I could get my hands on. On a release form I was asked for a company name and the now obvious happened - the name stuck, even though my "alcove" is now two rooms.

So pick a name that means something to you right now. It doesn't have to be forever. But maybe it will be and you'll have a fun story about how you got the name.

Back