Can you still buy super 8mm Film WITH SOUND?

Hi guys. I'm thinking of investing in a Super 8 camera and have noticed that lots do not record sound. There are a few that do say they record sound and they come with mics but I thought that super 8 sound film was no longer in existence/made and any would be extremely expensive.

Is sound film still widely available for Super 8mm film? Would it even be worth purchasing a sound camera - I'm thinking that the mechanics might make so much noise...

Anyway, any info would be very much appreciated!

Thanks guys :)

No. That has not been manufactured in well over 10 years, at least (closer to 20 methinks).

It was not good sound by anyone's definition and mono with the camera noise. Unusable.

No. That has not been manufactured in well over 10 years, at least (closer to 20 methinks).

It was not good sound by anyone's definition and mono with the camera noise. Unusable.

Aaaah ok, thanks for that info - so it is pointless buying a camera that says 'sound' as if that is some sort of advantage. So, can we only film silent or post-dub on super 8mm film then?

Thanks for the reply

so it is pointless buying a camera that says 'sound' as if that is some sort of advantage.

Posing the question that way the answer would be, "Yes. It's pointless"
However, if you pose the question differently it is not pointless to buy a
super8 camera that records audio. Some of the very best super8 cameras
are sound cameras; Beaulieu 4008 ZM II, Nikon R10, Canon 1041 XL-S,
Canon 514 XL-S and 814 XL, Elmo 612S-XL /1012S-XL

So, can we only film silent or post-dub on super 8mm film then?
Like sonnyboo I use a separate audio recorder - I find dubbing difficult for
most actors.

The problem is few super8 cameras are "crystal sync" cameras. But there
are modifications available.

Back