finished my screenplay and want to make my first film in n.j(cheaply)

hey guys
i just finished my first screenplay and want to make an independent film. i'm a newbie and basically i'm looking for some feedback. i know it takes a lot of work to finish the product. is anyone in the n.j/n.y area. if i can get some consultation on how to go about this. i have to keep the budget minimal and on schedule (i'm broke) to make this happen. i have to go about this the digital route and want to make a feature film. i attended the dov simens seminar and got great information. i just want to have minimal locations, apartment, etc.. i'm am taking this serious and would appreciate feed back. if you are looking for financial funds, let's see what arrangements we can make.

i believe i have a great screenplay and is worth the consideration and time.

contact me chavez_sergio15@hotmail.com

thank you.

I’m not in NY/NJ but I’ve made a lot of DV features for very little money. I’d be glad to offer any tips.

directorik, thanks for the reply, i would definetly appreciate any tips. I emailed you, i'm not quite sure how to work this forum yet but i'll get the hang of it.

max - you could always ask right here on the boards. That way other people can help out, too.

I’m going to assume the feature is being made with intent to sell it. Being very low budget ($15,000 - $25,000) I’m also going to assume the feature will be shot in 12 days or less.

Here is my top eight in order of importance:

• Know your market.
    What other movies like yours have been released?
    Have you (the moviemaker) paid to rent or buy a movie like this?
    If you haven’t - why do you think someone else will?
  • Better than average lighting.
    DV is too easy to light. Take the time to get more than a clear, well lit image.
    Use light well - especially exteriors.
  • Clean production sound.
    On no budget you simply cannot afford to have less than perfect dialogue
    tracks recorded on the set/location.
  • Very few locations.
    Every moment you are loading or unloading equipment you are not shooting.
    Keep it to 2 to 5. The exception is weekend shoots: if you are only shooting
    weekends, and you have 5 to 8 different weekends you can certianly
    have 5 - 8 different locations.
  • Have enough crew.
    Make sure you have a least one person in charge of each department.
    Too few people will slow down a shoot.
  • The less you pay - the better the food.
    But no matter what, on a low budget it is vitally important to feed your people well.
    They are doing YOU the favor.
  • Pay at least 3 people.
    Sound mixer
    Boom Op
    First AD
  • Pay 1 more.
    Scripty.
    You can always find a good DP willing to work for credit and a stipend. An exceptional
    Mixer/Boom team is hard to find and essential to the final product. A good, experienced
    First will save you in time - something you can never get back. A good scripty will save
    you in post - something you will appreciate even if you’re cutting youself.
  • Take a lot of pictures.
    An often overlooked, very important element to selling your movie is production
    and publicity shots.

Directorik, great advice! Just curious, when you say scripty, are you talking about a continuity person, or a screen play editor type person?

Max, have you made any other movies? If you haven't made a short yet, do that first. You could choose a good stand alone scene from your feature. A short is a less time consuming, less expensive, easier to pull off project than jumping into a feature.

Sorry - the slang becomes so standard that I often forget that not everyone uses it.

Yep - I mean a script supervisor. Not only for continuity, but to keep the editors notes. A good one will save you hours in the editing room.

kt, I thought of a short first but, at this time i'd rather do a full feature and this would be my first feature. Your statement is reasonable. i understand, it will be difficult to make and everything that could go wrong probably will. However, i want to go ahead and make this happen.

I'm speaking to students at college looking for someone who has experience in filming, since this would be my first project and I have no experience what so ever. I know how importan preproduction is and that would be my priority.

Also, i want to direct it. The person with experience will be the dp. This will also be my first time directing. I know it will be rough, but i'm going for it.

Max--I can see two potential paths for you with this project. You could follow along with the advice offered by Directorik (which is all valid, excellent advice!), but it applies more to someone investing enough money to make a marketable feature. Trust me, I know that even a $15k - $25k budget might as well be in the millions for someone who doesn't have it. The other option is to make a "No-Budget" feature with the intent of a) gaining experience at the craft, and b) using the finished product as a way to attract investors for your next effort.

You should know that I am completely new at this as well, so my suggestions should be considered accordingly. What I can tell you is that we made a 15 minute DV horror movie for about $275 (not including camera). The cost breakdown went roughly like this: $25 - wardrobe and misc. supplies, $50 - fake blood, scars, make-up, $50 - blank DV tapes, $150 - pizza, wine, & beer. That's it. Now...there is no way we would consider this movie "commercially marketable," but we did gain some valuable movie-making experience in the process, and more importantly...we had a GREAT time!

If you think that a simpler (and cheaper) start might be a good option for you, here are some ideas to help you out:

1. Get your friends to help you. They are more likely to be willing to help you out without feeling slighted by no pay and cheap food. If you are lucky, they will still be your friends at the end!

2. Craft your story such that it does not require unnecessary expenses. For example, a sci-fi movie would look lousy if you only spend $4.95 for a ray gun. Talk to your friends and family, find out what they can let you borrow for props. Try not to incorporate extravagant items (luxury cars, speedboats, machine guns, etc) unless you KNOW you can borrow them for free. Same can be said about computer visual effects. Unless you already know how to make them happen with post-prod. software, you may want to side-step it for now. (Not to say you shouldn't eventually learn, you just may not want to have your movie rely on a crucial CG scene unless you know it can be done).

3. Do PLENTY of test filming. Blank DV tapes are relatively cheap (and they can be re-used). Directorik was definitely right about lighting. You should know how you want your movie to look, and then shoot the setting over and over again with a variety of lighting options until you find the one that looks right on tape. You can do this on your own, or with a friend to help...but better to have this all worked out and decided BEFORE you bring in the actors.

4. Plan your shots! Work up a full schedule of all the scenes you need to get for your project. Maximize your effeciency by shooting all the scenes needed in setting 1 before breaking down and moving to the new location. Also, remember that makeup, hairstyles, wardrobe, and general appearance need to be kept consistent. Determine if a certain sequence of scenes requires any special appearance considerations and try to shoot all of that in one day so you do not have to go back and re-create "the look."

5. Invest in two cameras. Catching the one perfect take from multiple angles simultaneously can save time. Have a tripod ready for both.

6. Invest in a good quality microphone. Plug it into one of the cameras and capture all dialogue on one tape. When you get into editing, record your audio from the tape into a digital (.wav/.mp3/.aiff) file and lay that file into one of your editor's audio tracks. Reason is--if you are shooting a scene from two angles, you do not want to rely on the audio picked up from the individual cameras because the sounds levels will vary dramatically between them. Drop your movie audio track down to zero and use the copy of the audio from the one camera for all dialogue. If you cannot afford to hire a sound recorder/mixer, start looking now for a good quality sound mixing software program (like Audition) and start practicing. You may not need to do this, though, if you video editing program offers robust sound layers and controls.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Again, please remember that I only started making movies this year, so my experience is limited. These are the things I would suggest for anyone trying to spend less less than $1000 to make a movie. You won't get anything marketable, BUT if you do a great job an investor might be impressed with what you did with such a modest budget. It might get you to that $50,000+ feature project in no time! :)

Last edited:
The cost breakdown went roughly like this:
  • $25 - wardrobe and misc. supplies
  • $50 - fake blood, scars, make-up
  • $50 - blank DV tapes
  • $150 - pizza, wine, & beer.

I like your style, good sir!
smiley_pac.gif

kt, thanks for your comment.

John I appreciate the time and thought you took to write your message, you have been very helpful. I'm also reading books by troma films and reel to deal. The info there is helpful but it is always good to see actual examples from indie films on this board.

I've been to dov simens weekend seminar on film making, it was great.

I'd say 80% of the film will be in two apartment and one scene in a cemetary, a car and a church. There will be no special effects or car chases, just one fight scene in the streets. I'm keeping as simple as I can.

I went to the local college and spoke with the president of the student film association. I gave him my script and he said he will read it and if he thinks there's something there, he'll present it to the association to see who may be interested in the project. They may have full use of the equipment, that would be great but i'm not waiting on them alone. Also, i'm about to talk with some other kid who made some videos and has all his equipment. We should be speaking tonight. Hopefully, we can work something out. I'll see what happens.

I'm banking a lot on my script. I remember dov always talking about getting the great script, which is the most important thing. Everything else will work out of that. It makes sense. I still getting some feed back on my script, some people like it and some don't, but overall good reviews. I have to motivate someone to help make this happen, since there's not much money.

I figure, the story is true and i know many people who have been affected by the situation. I think i could put a message on the forums where people are talking about it and let them know a movie is been made on this and the publicty and word of mouth. Now this is an optimistic point of view. I believe I could get a buzz on this film, I strongly believe it or I wouldn't try to do this and it will fill up a full house if i rent a theatre with a digital projection and enter festivals.

Now that's how I was thinking, of course I may be bias because it's my film and maybe that's how everyone feels on their first film. If it's a stinker than " I gained in the experience", what the heck.

John, one thing which i forgot to consider but you brought to my attention. Make it a modest film because of the finance and maybe an investor may give an addition funding for another film if he likes it. Like the marriachi with rober rodriquez. He made it for a few thousands and investors gave him more for a remake, Desperado with antonio banderas, something like that i heard.

I have to see my options. Once i could sit down with someone who is interested in the project and we could get some exact numbers on this. If they have all the equipment, how much they'll do it for, let's see what we can arrange. I know things will fall in place as I continue and keep learning as i go forward on this.

max70 said:
Make it a modest film because of the finance and maybe an investor may give an addition funding for another film if he likes it. Like the marriachi with rober rodriquez.

Sam Raimi and company also did this for Evil Dead. They made a film project called "Within the Woods" which they then used to show investors in an effort gain funding for what would eventually become "Evil Dead." NOTE: "Within the Woods" was a short--only about 30 minutes.

My script has 126 pages. Once i have a sit down with the dp, i'll probably have to trim some pages off. I feel because over 80% of it will be in two apartments it will be easier to shoot. I have a lot of material and to sit down and cut it down for a short, i might as well make it a full feature, no props, very basic, then again nothing is ever as easy as we think.

I do see your point on "within the woods" only being 30 minutes but the characters will basically be communicating in the apartment and nothing techincal. I'm banking the viewers will be compelled with the characters and the story. I'll get more feed back on that.

Back