Are character-driven stories better than plot-driven ones?

Be careful. Comparing novels to a web series and using your
conclusions may not work. Quick, name three successful movies
or TV series adapted from Asimov novels.

I'll throw you another bone, Rik. The Bicentennial Man by Isaac Asimov was plot driven and was a disappointment. But, like I said, 2001 is plot driven, with almost no character development, and it remains iconic.

That said, most sci-fi films are plot driven, which means there will be a big opportunity for character-driven stories.

In a layered story where the characters are layered together, characters and plot work hand in hand. That is the best type of script for Indie shorts where cast, crew, or both drop out before a production is over. With a layered script, a story can still be edited together that makes sense.

My gut instinct tells me, if you are going into a micro budget production, which means that you will be working with unexperienced actors, there might be a point in having a really strong plot instead of putting your faith in to the characters? Or at least, have very few characters like in "Monster" that you can control?

Layered story?

Yes.

This is a skilled fiction writing technique that people on this board often overlook.

Every character and every plot device is tightly tied together in a centrally focussed idea.

You can Google layered plots and stories to get links to web sites for writers for more details.

Your whole script and all its characters must fall into line around one central idea.

My gut instinct tells me, if you are going into a micro budget production, which means that you will be working with unexperienced actors, there might be a point in having a really strong plot instead of putting your faith in to the characters? Or at least, have very few characters like in "Monster" that you can control?

Good point, but I think many experienced actors can work relatively cheaply. That said, will the inexperienced actor hurt the story? I don't know.

MDMYLLC, thanks for the tip. :)

Yes.

This is a skilled fiction writing technique that people on this board often overlook.

Every character and every plot device is tightly tied together in a centrally focussed idea.

You can Google layered plots and stories to get links to web sites for writers for more details.

Your whole script and all its characters must fall into line around one central idea.

Just like the community project.

But I strongely suggest not to use it out of fear of dropouts.
(Sorry to see how it really influences MDMP's thinking about filmmaking. It's not cool when it happens.)
Use it because when it creates a better story :)

Just like the community project.

But I strongely suggest not to use it out of fear of dropouts.
(Sorry to see how it really influences MDMP's thinking about filmmaking. It's not cool when it happens.)
Use it because when it creates a better story :)

It actually serves both purposes.

I suggest doing it for both reasons just so you are covered for a worst case scenario.

Back