• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Adventure/comedy "Gold Digger"

After unearthing two ancient pendants at a dig site in Morocco, archeologist Michael Sindberg (Rudi Køhnke) is ambushed by a small group of criminals, hired to steal his valuable artifacts. To Michaels surprise, his ex girlfriend Isabel (Maria Nadia) is involved in the ambush. Michael now has to figure out how to get out alive, while resisting the charm of the girl he loves.

watch it here: https://vimeo.com/84128558
Where you can also find a link to behind the scenes, and other fun stuff

Since you seem to really have kicked some ass with this project, I'm going to be nitpicky.

Outstanding:
-Sound design
-Acting from leads was great
-Grade was overall very nice
-Set design, wardrobe, location, and props!!!!
-Shot selection (particularly nice move at 11:30)
-Cutting (both times when the female lead steals a pendant)
-Knife throw was so dope.
-Cut at 14:01 and preceding dialogue.
-I finally got a little insight into the male and female leads relationship in the final scene and that moment was beautifully written, I just wish I had that insight earlier so I could care about her and their relationship.

Needs work:
-Some shots in the car are underexposed, hardly can I see his face.
-Contrast in the grade slightly varied in some places
-I was never connected to the relationship between our male and female leads. They had a previous relationship that has a fairly big impact between them throughout the story, but I don't feel connected to the relationship. This is not to say that I didn't feel connected to the male protagonist (you gave me reason to care about him many times, notably in the "pre-meeting" scene).
-Whip pan sound FX at 10:50 are unnecessary, takes me out of the film. Like the pan, not the sound clip.
-Underexposure was a fairly constant problem throughout.
-A little slow. It lacked enough intensity and pace.
-Fist-fighting scenes could have been cut a little quicker. Or maybe just a little less subtlety with the sound FX there, I want to hear that smack when our lead knocks out his enemy.
-Acting from secondary characters was a little lackluster.
-Cut at 14:34 is awk.
-Final shot totally unnecessary. If there is any home for that shot, it's after the credits roll.

Weird:
-What kind of archeologist drives a mini cooper? (a filmmaker needs car space for gear, as I'm sure an archeologist does, too, let alone for driving to remote locations)
-I find myself frustrated with stories that use objects as generic motivating devices. "The pendant," "the device," "the computer chip implant." It's something I notice in everything from short shorts, to TV, to features. I want the lore of the object, the background, the information that will make me value it highly if it's so damn important. Now, I know this is difficult to do, especially working within length and time constraints, but isn't that one of the great challenges of filmmaking?

Overall that is a quick 15 minute watch, I was entertained wholly, I liked the story, plus it wasn't something I see everyday. So much great in this project, keep up the killer work!!!

Thank you Samwagner,

Great to hear such a detailed feedback! -
I agree in almost everything you have to say. And yeah, it would have been ideal with a rusty van for the archeologist, but a mini cooper was available for free! :)

Feedback like this help us getting better, and seeing what is wrong with the picture -
looking forward to hear what you think about "in The Dark", as soon as that gets out.

indiegogo.com/projects/in-the-dark-short-film

Back