New to Filmmaking, Pre-Pro Questions

I am currently writing for a film titled Thicker Than Water, this is my first real film project and I'm in need of a few tips. I don't really have a budget or a cast, or much of a team in general at this point, but I have a solid story that has a lot of potential.
Do I look for backers to help produce the film first? Or do I try to find the cast first? Or is it neither of those?
What should my first steps be?
The film could either be a good length short film or possibly a minimum length feature. If I can get this thing off the ground with help, I know it can do great things.

Just looking for advice and answers!

Welcome to IndieTalk.

I don't mean to offend you, but your lack of knowledge on the topic worries me. I recommend you study up more on filmmaking, and I highly recommend you work as a PA or best boy on a film set. It's also not a good idea to make a 'good length short film'. Most festivals accept either features or short films under 10 minutes. I wouldn't start with a feature either, start working on other films, as well as working on shorts. You will both gain experience and you can get connections on film sets.

Once you do get ready to shoot a film, start with a distribution and production plan. How much money will you have to set aside for marketing, and how much money will you need to make the film overall? Come up with an estimated budget, and find a way to fund that film. You should then move onto casting, finding locations, scheduling, storyboards, etc.

Hope this helps!

First thing you need to do: Finish your script.

Second: Since this is your first and you're unlike to get funding, I suggest this next: Break down the script. Work out your locations and then do your schedule.

Third: Find cast and crew that fit in with your budget and schedule.

This process is specific to no-budget filmmaking. If you have a budget for your locations, cast and crew, then the order changes.

Back