• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch What makes this 93 sec film seem amateurish?

Youtubes auto-stabilization is skewing our point of view but even if it didn't have it, a lot of it has to do with the framing and acting. Most of the shots were too wide with a lot of dead space. Editing wise I thought it was fine.

I could swear I unticked stabilization and even checked afterwards that it looked fine, but maybe I'm wrong. I reuploaded the film, this time definitely without stabilization:

http://youtu.be/XM9CogRqQ5c

Thank you for the feedback! I didn't realize that the framing was off.

That was kinda funny. It appealed to my warped sense of humour.

As you ask, the framing, colouring are off so worth having a look at those elements. The sound sync is clearly out as well and from that perspective, definitely need a little foley.

The acting could've been sharper in places.

Both otherwise, I quite liked it. I'd rather watch that with those issues than a perfectly shot something-or-other which has nothing.

Thanks! Far from everyone gets the humour.

As for colouring, can you specify what was off? Was it filming against the light in the windows? I tried hard to avoid that but it just wasn't possible.

Nice flick... but definitely needs more interior lighting. And the camera seemed noticeably locked down.

Hi Thimmy, and thanks for sharing it with us.

I too sensed that the camera feels restricted, and while its nice to have a steady tripod shot, you might have tried adding several close ups/different angles, to montage them in and add dynamic feel to the visuals.

For the sound my advise would be to:

1) Cleaning the background noise some more, and give the voices a "presence" boost.

2) Round it off with a background music, and maybe a few sounds.

3) Make sure the intro smoothly transitions into the background music. It theoretically could be the same music playing softer in the background, but I prefer another technique, where the energetic intro fades into similar, BUT slower, laid back music, which gives base to your text and drama. Anyway the current state, when its just vanishes into silence is the least pleasant option.

Hope it helps.

-

Camera locked down? As in on a tripod? Yes, I insisted on using a tripod.

There's nothing wrong with using a tripod, but you could have followed the movements of the actors a bit to break up the "locked down" feel.
For example: the first shot shows two things at once, and we're not sure what to look at. A simple pan establishing the background girl coming in, and then panning to the girls at the table would have helped not only with the locked camera, but also with the cinematography: show one thing at a time.

Back