A little Common Sense

I work for a storage company and I love it. These companies make their money on the weakness and stupidity of the average citizen.

Example 1: An old woman has had 5 units for over ten years. She finally got sick and tired of paying a few hundred dollars each month, so she decides to close up her units. She pays some people hundreds of dollars to take what they want, and then she throws the rest out. This woman spent over $15,000 to save things she eventually just threw away.

Example 2: A woman lets her unit go till it's ready to go to auction. She pays $110 extra in late fees each 3 or 4 months, on top of the $220 she pays for the unit. She comes in to pay and says "I gotta get rid of some stuff, and just put the rest in a smaller unit. This is costing me too much each month. My main concern is for my fridge, it cost $2500". I went into her history, and she's had that fridge in storage since 2008. I totaled all her payments and it added up to over $12,000.

It's so sad. Because these are not rich people who can just waste money. But, they use no common sense.

Well, since that other scripted debacle detonated maybe it's time to try your hand at a documentary.

One door closes...

PS: Here's where your homework begins: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afluenza
A few years back I heard on NPR that there were more more storage units in America than Americans. Niiiiiice. :D

Last edited:
How far up the corporate ladder does this casual contempt for their own clients go? :hmm:

I don't have contempt, I feel extremely sorry for these people. I personally have told many new customers, if you have things you're eventually going to throw away, do it. Don't waste the money. I've been told to stop saying things like that. Because this company, as well as all the others want the money.

The people I work with, wouldn't give a person a break.

Nick: Yep, men do it too. But, these two units stand out. Also, for some reason, if a couple comes in, it's always put in the woman's name.

Isn't there already a reality TV show? Storage Wars?

I've never seen that show. But, supposedly since it's been on the amount of people showing up for auctions has tripled. We've only had one unit go up for sale and it sold for $20. It was a 10 x 20 and loaded with boxes and junk. The person who bought it, ended up throwing everything away. It was complete garbage.

Think of that. $20 for a unit that's filled with worthless crap. Someone was spending at least $150 a month on garbage.

The really sad thing that most people don't know is: They forgo paying for their unit and let it go to auction. They lose their stuff, and if the unit only gets a hundred or so dollars and they owe five hundred, the rest goes to collections. Which goes on your credit rating for years.

Dejager: That's the grand total she's spent over the years. But, she's saving a $2500 refridgerator. That's her big main item. She could have bought 4 or 5 if she'd have saved the money she's spent on storing it.

We have a 70 year old man who rides a bike everywhere. He has 5 units. He rooms with 6 other men from India. If he saved the money he spends on storage, he could get his own apartment. I'm guessing he likes to have room mates so he's not so lonely. He comes in and talks to me for hours on a regular basis.

We have a 70 year old man who rides a bike everywhere. He has 5 units. He rooms with 6 other men from India. If he saved the money he spends on storage, he could get his own apartment. I'm guessing he likes to have room mates so he's not so lonely. He comes in and talks to me for hours on a regular basis.
Looks like your first doc interviewee. :)

Looks like your first doc interviewee. :)

He's a nice guy. Very lonely.

When I first started working there, they told me storage companies would make a great reality TV show (not storage wars), the real story behind these places. It's true. But, I've never had a desire to do a documentary. But, if anyone does, it'd be fascinating.

My coworker has an $80 plain white t-shirt, and he swears it's worth it.

I pay $100 per month for internet, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I know people who spend $5 per day at Starbucks. Even if they skip it on weekends, that's over $100 per month.

I cringe inside every time one of my customers orders a $35 shot of whiskey. Or a $500 bottle of wine. But to them, it's worth it.

How often do you see some schmuck spending $20 on lottery tickets? I see it all the time.

I've also heard that some nut-cases will spend thousands of dollars, and toil away for months on end, to make a movie that is highly unlikely to turn a profit.

People are weird.

My coworker has an $80 plain white t-shirt, and he swears it's worth it.

I have no idea what your co-worker looks like. But, an $80 plain white t-shirt isn't plain. It has to fit better than a Fruit of the Loom. That's not to say, they're wearing it properly. But, if it fits properly than it will wear a little different.

With that said. They're a sucker. It's like people who buy from Armani Exchange. They're paying for a name, not a product.

My clothes back in the 80s were top of the line. Armani, Beblos, Gaultier, and any other funky designer that had something unique. I'm not a good looking guy. But, wherever I went I turned heads because of my look. I paid top dollar and in many cases no dollar, for unique fashion that was available.

When a higher price tag influences your decision, you're a sucker.

I pay $100 per month for internet, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So, if you could get the same speed, quality, absolutely nothing different for half the price, you'd still pay $100 with your current provider? Then you're a lazy sucker.

I know people who spend $5 per day at Starbucks. Even if they skip it on weekends, that's over $100 per month.

Coffee is expensive everywhere. It's also addictive. I make my own, and I crave it everyday. Starbucks makes good coffee. It's not the best I've ever had, but it's pretty tasty. I personally think it's too expensive. Especially since way back when, no matter how destitute you were, a person could always afford a cup of coffee. Now you can't. Because, the corporate world figured out, if you put a high price tag on it, the suckers will gravitate to it.

My absolute favorite America is filled with SUCKERS story is: The news did a report on the high price of coffee in these designer coffee houses. They took the regular cheap .10 cents a pound beans and charged customers for a premium cup of coffee $5 a pop. Every one of these suckers were on TV talking about how wonderful this cup of coffee of was until they were told the truth. Put a large enough price tag on it, and it has to be better right?

I cringe inside every time one of my customers orders a $35 shot of whiskey. Or a $500 bottle of wine. But to them, it's worth it.

These are the best suckers in the world. Rich suckers. It's not worth it to them, it's status. "Look bitch, I can afford this. Now my suck my dick." It works every time. Because they have nothing else. They sure as hell don't have personalities. Because no one with any kind of personality would be stupid enough to pay $35 for a shot of anything.

Wine is another story. That's a whole other psychological program. I worked for Riedel Crystal. Very hoity toity wine glasses. Supposedly, wine will taste better from their glasses than any other. It's the way it's made. People swear by them. They had customers that brought their glasses to restaurants. They gave me the taste test, and I didn't notice a damn bit of difference. I enjoyed the wine though. I just thought the Riedel I worked for was a dick. To truly enjoy the taste of wine, you must hold the glass by the stem. Your fingers should never touch the bowl because it will ruin the temperature, or some shit like that. Well, this moron invented casual wine glasses without a stem. Of course they were popular, they were Riedel. But, if you believe the stem shit, then these glasses should be burned at the stake.

How often do you see some schmuck spending $20 on lottery tickets? I see it all the time.

And how often does some poor schmuck win? If you can afford it fine. If you can't, than you shouldn't. But, these suckers have a dream.

I've also heard that some nut-cases will spend thousands of dollars, and toil away for months on end, to make a movie that is highly unlikely to turn a profit.

A finished artistic project. The same with painters, musicians, mimes. They're living their dream.

People are weird.

The weird ones are the good ones. It's the over abundance of average, ordinary suckers that make this world suck. But, they do make it go round. What Hollywood and the entertainment industry call A-List Product are geared for these drones. Because not one of them can make a decision on their own. They have to like what everyone else likes. They have to buy what everyone else buys. They have no free will.

Perfect examples of this is every boy band/American idol/spice girl/pop troupe who are put together not for musics sake. But, strictly for the almighty dollar. The newest suckiest piece of shit group was just on SNL a week or so ago. Wow, they sucked. I was shocked.

The major difference between your post and mine is, you're saying these people are content with their choices. In my post I flat out point to what they said "they're not content with their choices". Not many of our customers are happy with having to pay to keep their crap sheltered.

When my grandma died some years ago, she left a house with a big and nice garden. Not much worth, but still a nice place to be.

Mum, my two uncles and my aunt decided that no one of them wants it. But about ONE YEAR went, until they finally sold it.. not because there were no buyers. The older brother just couldn't let go and blocked every opportunity. And my mum was reluctant to even drive there and look for furniture or other things she could use for herself.

Sometimes memories and the regrets that are connected to them are so strong, some people just can't let go. I think it's the same with a lot of your customers. I don't think ALL of them are mindless drones.

Last edited:

Are we talking a shot or a glass of nice scotch to sip? There is a difference. The former I absolutely agree with you, and the latter, I usually can't afford, but sometimes can really be worth it. That said, anyone ordering by age rather than brand isn't doing it right (there's a difference between a 10 year Islay and a 10 year Highland).

And on the other hand, I was in a bar about a year ago, asked for a glass of Jameson (about as cheap as I'll go, straight whisky-wise) and it was $12. You know, for the stuff you can buy a bottle of for $24. And the place was literally four blocks away from the bar that USED to be the trendy, expensive bar (but is now more a punk hangout), where the same drink cost me $4. And they had dollar tacos!

Sometimes memories and the regrets that are connected to them are so strong, some people just can't let go. I think it's the same with a lot of your customers. I don't think ALL of them are mindless drones.

Of course that's why most people put their memories in storage.

We have a heart breaker. A woman just rented a unit, and she told me "My son died last year and I can't bring myself to throw away his things yet." Even my boss who is a tough ass, cut this woman a better deal than I was able to find her.

Let me ask you this. What kind of financial burden was it on the families for that year? Was the house paid off, and they were just splitting the taxes? Were they paying a mortgage and figured they'd split the cost and make it back when the house was sold?

Dready: Yes, I am. That's why my friends always ask me to hang out. I'm a hell of a lot of fun. But, most unique people are.

rayw: There's a special place in hell for all the insurance reps, doctors, and politicians who bow to the almighty dollar while countless people die of sicknesses that could easily be cured.

What I love is how the mindless drones (basically Republican) rail against having to be insured. "Why is the government telling me I have to be insured. If I don't want insurance it's my right not to have it". The thing these idiots don't get is, a Republican put that in the health plan. Not Obama.

Or better yet, we should kill the Obama Health Care Plan and go back to the days when an insurance company could refuse you for a pre-existing condition. Makes perfect sense to me.

Yep Dready that's me spreading my sunshine. But, at least I don't keep my head in the sand, and just allow the norm to tell me what I should own, do, enjoy.

God or evolution or whatever gave us a brain to be used. Slowly as the years pass, we choose to turn it off and allow our computers, cell phones, and social media outlets dictate our sensibilities. Oh, and lets not forget the almighty political correctness.

Let's talk education: How kids are allowed in class to use calculators to learn math is absolutely beyond me. Will Word be teaching them English soon? Fucking idiot mindless drones. :lol:

Or better yet, we should kill the Obama Health Care Plan and go back to the days when an insurance company could refuse you for a pre-existing condition. Makes perfect sense to me.
Works for me.

I can't live in a house I can't afford.
Can't drive a car I can't afford.
Can't sire offspring I can't afford.
Then why is it I can get healthcare I can't afford?

Let's talk education: How kids are allowed in class to use calculators to learn math is absolutely beyond me. Will Word be teaching them English soon? Fucking idiot mindless drones. :lol:
Technology has become so reliable that it's button-pushing parameters have become the minimal support standard.
Give it a hundred years. You'll choke and die on what their "minimal standard" will become.

Yes, MS Word will indeed be reinforcing - AND PERPETUATING - the most retarded language system in the known universe.

Why do we need both a "c" and "k", which we'll sometimes quit trying to figure out which one to use and just stick them both in there, and a "q" which is about 100% dependent upon a "u" to make the same sound as the already redundant "c" and "k"?
Three letters?
Really?

There.
Their.
and
They're?
4Really?

And about five thousand other stupid things.
Yeahhhhh...
I love this language about as much as the retards that insist on perpetuating it, warts and all.
Go MS Word!

Let me ask you this. What kind of financial burden was it on the families for that year? Was the house paid off, and they were just splitting the taxes? Were they paying a mortgage and figured they'd split the cost and make it back when the house was sold?

The house was paid off, so it was not very expensive to keep the house for a year. But it was unnecessary.

Well, if I had to pay 12 grand for a storage unit, no matter what memories I want to keep sealed in there.. I just couldn't afford that. Where do these people take the money to do this? :huh:

Back