• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Streamlining the editing of a multi-camera, multi-microphone video

Hi!

I'm currently trying to edit a 3 camera, 4 microphones (one + 3 on cameras) recording of a public event.

The audio recording has numerous problems and is of very low quality. You can hear the tripods making noise, the cameramen whispering and the speaker kept walking in a 20-meter radius without being properly followed - so the recording is very, very inconsistent.

I have 4 audio tracks in the Audition project and they're working all ok. Synced and all.

Here's my question:
Is there a way to nicely streamline the "participation" of individual microphones/tracks in this recording, so I don't have to create a bunch of keyframes or new clips 'cause of dozens and dozens of these smaller parts that need to be toned down in the audio?

Thank you for your answers!

Is there a way to nicely streamline the "participation" of individual microphones/tracks in this recording, so I don't have to create a bunch of keyframes or new clips 'cause of dozens and dozens of these smaller parts that need to be toned down in the audio?

I'd bet there would be, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, the end result would probably suck.

How long was the event? - it's a different story to do this with a 7-minute ted talk or a 40-minute presentation.

Without hearing the audio files, I would guess your best bet is to work in large sections, switching sound sources based on which one is picking up the speaker best or has the least background noise. Too frequent changes between mics would almost certainly be audible and distracting.

Once that's done, the most glaring tripod/whisper/cough noises should be edited out using audio software, not by switching microphones. Izotope RX is the golden standard for audio restoration - but you'd probably have to hire someone who really knows how to use it (audio restoration isn't really my thing).

Cheaper option: Put your audio stems in any DAW (I recommend reaper as it's free for 60 days), cut and paste them together as desired, then go through and edit your noises with some EQ (low pass!) and noise gates.

Back