• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

My FPS is changing...

sfoster

Staff Member
Anyone know whats going on here?

I have a project at 23.976 FPS in FCP
I export it into a .mov file in prores 422 and import that into hitfilm express

Hit film identifies the media as 23.976
I export this to be 23.976 prores 422 back to a .mov file

I import into FCP and the media is now 24 FPS!
Causing me all kinds of problems in editing.

What gives?

Anyone know whats going on here?

I have a project at 23.976 FPS in FCP
I export it into a .mov file in prores 422 and import that into hitfilm express

Hit film identifies the media as 23.976
I export this to be 23.976 prores 422 back to a .mov file

I import into FCP and the media is now 24 FPS!
Causing me all kinds of problems in editing.

What gives?

7.03 or X?

In 7.03, just change the import settings.

Where are the import settings?
I go to file->import->file and select but thats all I see

Or drag and drop as I have been doing it, which gives no problem with a 23.976 framerate anywhere else

Very odd, usually whatever quicktime reports is what FCP will see too.

Is FCP showing 24 in the project browser? What kind of editing problems are you seeing - audio sync, needing to render, etc? Are you importing this into a new project, or an existing one?

Very odd, usually whatever quicktime reports is what FCP will see too.

Is FCP showing 24 in the project browser? What kind of editing problems are you seeing - audio sync, needing to render, etc? Are you importing this into a new project, or an existing one?

The editing problems are BIZARRE, it actually took me a couple of minutes to figure out what was even going on. First off what the editor shows in the canvas preview is not what the film shows when it's exported. How is that for strange?

It's the same project with the original footage. I exported, hit film effects, re imported and then tried to use some snippets from it

Some of the editing symptoms .. If I use a razor blade, it won't play smoothly after export. It will skip frames or stutter.

If I copy the video, the shrink the copy to a small segment and place it in the exact same spot it should have been.. it will skip frames or stutter. It can't seem to reconcile the difference between 24 and 23.976 in the same project

The only thing my googling came up with was this:
http://community.hitfilm.com/index....t-of-color-grading-and-not-the-science/page-2

Where someone says "One issue I've found is if your video is 23.976fps and you use a QT format to get footage to Resolve, it seems to treat it as 24fps, and can get off a frame here and there"

Interestingly, when I did the same search to provide you this link, my own thread is now the top result :)

That's strange. Any mismatch between the media and the timeline settings should show a render bar at the top, either green for stuff that can play in real time, orange for stuff that will play back at a reduced resolution, or red for stuff that has to be rendered before playback. Even just mixing different flavors of ProRes can cause it (it'll still play just fine, but it will show that there's not a match). If there's no render bar then it would seem to indicate that the frame rates are the same between the clip and the timeline.

Where is it in FCP that you're seeing the media listed as 24?

Back