How is it like in New York for film makers?

I was wondering how it is like to be a film maker - I mean new unknown/underground? film maker in New York?

I am in London and I am finding extremely difficult to find GOOD people who know how the equipment works to work/collaborate with. Every time I ask/look for people to help me out behind camera, first thing they always ask is "How Much Do You Pay" like they thought I'm Tom Cruise or Martin Scorsesse or something...
Do people in New York are also SO money concentrated as well? Is it easy to find people to collaborate with behind the camera (by collaborate I mean working together on a project for benefit of making the project and gaining the experience rather than getting £100 (or $100))

I sometimes think like I am the only person I know in London who just wants to do stuff, like Im the outcast - well I am actually outcast but... you know what I mean... :huh:

In the NY Metropolitan area (or Tri-State region, if you prefer) the cost of living is pretty high. Just getting to a shoot can be costly. If you paid me US$75 to come in to Manhattan I break even if you consider the cost of tolls, gas and parking. Taxi, railroad and subway is a little cheaper, but then you must absolutely guarantee that we are finished by midnight so I can catch the last train home.

Yes, you can use more "local" people, and there is lots of talent to be found, but they will also need to be paid their expenses and be treated decently (craft table, food, etc.).

What you are dealing with is "you get what you pay for." Experienced people with solid gear are going to cost you, newbies with consumer toys will cost a lot less, and you final product will reflect which way you went.

As for the competition in the Tri-State area it is extremely fierce; being a media hub and having several prestigious film schools the talent is just more concentrated.

Just to give you the "mercenary" point of view... I've spent a dozen years learning my craft (and the previous 30+ in related fields), and have spent close to six figures on my gear, facility, softwares, libraries, etc. And you want my experience, my talent, my equipment and my facility for free? Why should I help you? There are thousands out there like you; what makes you so special that I should actually reduce my income to work with you? Okay it's a passion project, but it's not my passion project; if you truly had the passion that you claim money would be no object, you would pay people to create the best product that you can afford.

Please understand that I am not aiming this at you personally, but giving you the perspective from the other side of the street. And I did do lots of freebees when I got started in audio post. But I was nowhere near as experienced - nor as well-equipped - as I am now. If you want quality you have to pay for it. Am I Todd AO or Skywalker Sound? Of course not!!! But I turn out very nice work for a very reasonable price. If quality audio post is important to your project you will pay that price - and the same applies to every other filmmaking craft.

Back