IT Movie Club: Movie Watch!

Glengarry Glen Ross is a stunning film from director David Mamet

It's actually directed by James Foley, but it is definitely a David Mamet film, Foley is only there doing the job of making sure Mamet's lines and the performances are captured on film. He doesn't have much directorial presence, and I praised him for that LOL.

THE NEXT FILM WE WILL BE WATCHING IS SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK

:(

Great choice! But the film is not available to me though.

Great write-up on Glengarry Glen Ross by the way!

Well, both of the previous films weren't available easily and didn't seem entertaining enough to hunt down. Try picking something like Army of Darkness or some other cult classic available on Netflix.

Well, both of the previous films weren't available easily and didn't seem entertaining enough to hunt down. Try picking something like Army of Darkness or some other cult classic available on Netflix.

Fair enough.

The next film we will be watching will be is

EVIL DEAD 2

EDIT: Watch by next Sunday

Ensuring easy availability of a title is pretty important, but it's gonna be a race to the bottom if films are being skipped 'cos it's felt it wasn't going to be entertaining anyway. Kinda defeats the whole point of getting together to watch and discuss something challenging (and hopefully new for most), if people aren't interested in going outside their box.

When picking a film, let people know where it's easily to be found. Remember that Netflix DVD has a lot that Netflix Instant is missing. (Synecdoche was on DVD side only; Glengarry was both DVD & Instant). If a film is on DVD only, even if a person has opted for that additional cost, the extra time needed for mail to & fro will not readily accomodate a weekly film-watching schedule.

p.s. It'll be easier for latecomers & newcomers to join in on a film discussion, if each film has its own thread.

Ensuring easy availability of a title is pretty important, but it's gonna be a race to the bottom if films are being skipped 'cos it's felt it wasn't going to be entertaining anyway. Kinda defeats the whole point of getting together to watch and discuss something challenging (and hopefully new for most), if people aren't interested in going outside their box.

I wanted things to be challenging, and explore other areas of cinema that I and others aren't well educated in. Like you're saying, it defeats the purpose.

When picking a film, let people know where it's easily to be found. Remember that Netflix DVD has a lot that Netflix Instant is missing. (Synecdoche was on DVD side only; Glengarry was both DVD & Instant). If a film is on DVD only, even if a person has opted for that additional cost, the extra time needed for mail to & fro will not readily accomodate a weekly film-watching schedule.

p.s. It'll be easier for latecomers & newcomers to join in on a film discussion, if each film has its own thread.

Thanks for the advice Zensteve! I'll start a thread for each film, post info about where it can be located, and the date for which it is preferred we move onto another film.

I think that the choices were good, and as I said, I even discovered a great film I didn't even know about which was awesome!

Some of the films are not available to me but most of them are. Maybe it'll be easier if we choose a day to all pick recommendations and make sure that they are available to us before making a final choice. Don't kill this club though!

Back