Online Public Domain Photos?

Does anyone know of any good sites with downloadable public domain photography? I seem to remember someone mentioning a site before.

Yes, sir!

The easiest ones to find are on .gov websites. That is especially handy if looking for military people, guns, and other equipment. There are also a tonne of other non-military .gov websites that Uncle Sam is paying for... and by Uncle Sam, that means you! Almost anything visual that you see on those Social Security, Homelamd Security, California Forest Defense, whatever sites are up for grabs.

They are cleared for PD as well... though they usually ask for listing in the credits.

Oh, the .mil ones are even better. Many of them are the same as .gov ones, but they tend to have higher resolution images to use by clicking the link. Those are the ones that are best to use for video, etc.

Archive.org has an incredible amount of material on it. You need to check more carefully for useage notes, but a great percent is available for use. Prellinger Archives (within Archive.org) is almost all PD with very few exceptions. Pics, movies, audio... so much to go through.

:D

I don't know why I even posted on the forum. I should have just PM'd the all knowing, guru of knowledge - Zensteve!

<bowing in reverence>

Thanks....I'll start photo surfing tonight!

Well I thank you most kindly, Mr Scooter.

However, I need mention that almost everything I have learned has come from these boards.

Pieces from here, pieces from there... the good bits of knowledge that I happen to have all come from other members of this fine messageboard. It's a collective effort to bring it all together. It's due to many others' contributions that I had a ready answer.

Mistakes, errors, ommisions, confirmations... all can be corrected or clarified in an open environment (such as this board) where almost everyone has an insight (from a variety of angles) into any question or topic posed.

This is the wonder of the 'net.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back