Unlimited Theatre Pass for $10 a month

sfoster

Staff Member
Interesting new business model... $10 a month and you can go to the theatre every day (once a day)

http://movieweb.com/amc-theaters-lawsuit-moviepass-subscription-price/

I feel like this could be great for the cinemas... people going more often, buying more popcorn, good for them.
I'm nervous about how it will affect summer blockbuster profits like guardians of the galaxy.

I feel like it would be more profitable for the studios to do a streaming release for home viewers and still charge the full ticket price

It's a great idea. These models usually work. Remember how AOL offered the unheard of "unlimited" internet for $19.95, killing off Prodigy's per minute model, and when mobile phone plans went unlimited... idea being, many will pay, and many will actually not use. It all evens out, and usually lands in the black. It's great motivation to actually get to a theater, something, admittedly, I have not done in eons. I think it's great!

It's wonderful for the consumers and it would get me to the theatre as well.
There is a cinemark that's only a block from me walking distance and I never go.

I don’t really see the downside to this, personally. MoviePass is soaking up the full ticket price, after all. They’re undoubtedly making a loss, until they figure out a method of monetizing this.

There is no loss. They pay the theaters and sell your movie habit data. If you see 15 movies in one month, they have more data to sell. They are now in the data collection and analytics business as well as the movie business, as, MoviePass just sold a majority stake to the data firm Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc.

So thats how it works

tenor.gif

Right. Time will tell if the model works and AMC is already suing them.

This is going to get a lot of grassroots marketing and transform them into an enormous company overnight. Then they can increase the price down the road.

MoviePass is available right now if anyone wants it.. the prices probably won't last forever
It's growing rapidly and I assume they will raise their monthly prices back to $30-$50/month once this marketing gimmic plays out .

Enjoy these free summer blockbusters while they last!
It takes a week to get up and running on moviepass so don't plan on signing up last minute before you see a film. They have to mail you a credit card that you use to buy all your free tickets.

I joined the club.

WELCOME TO MOVIEPASS
CONGRATS!

Your MoviePass card should be arriving in the mail within 7 business days.

As a MoviePass member, you can go to unlimited movies at over 36,000 screens nationwide.
Your first month will begin once you receive your card in the mail.

See below for some things you may want to look at before your card arrives.

I subscribed to MoviePass, a service that lets me see a movie a day in theaters nationwide for only $9.95/month, and I want you to join, too! MoviePass is the BEST way to see all the biggest hits, so sign up today! See you at the theater! movi.ps/1eFtefq

There's a movie theatre one block from me.

And now I won't feel bad if i don't stay for a whole movie

'bout damn time!
Ticket prices are getting so ridiculous that with each visit to the theater, it seems to go up a buck.
Was kinda getting used to Netflix, so this might be a good way to get out and smell the fresh air.

I've been thinking about doing this but the theater near me is AMC and I've read that they might back out...of course I could cancel if they do that :)

Keep us posted on how it works out - any glitches etc.

I guess I'm not too surprised but few theaters in my area of Los Angeles
take the cards.

I've been thinking about doing this but the theater near me is AMC and I've read that they might back out...of course I could cancel if they do that :)

Keep us posted on how it works out - any glitches etc.

as long as i get to see one movie this way I figure i broke even.

no big deal if they back out. the theatre near me is AMC too.

This is probably a coincidence but around the same time i signed up for the service i got a notification that an insecure app tried to sign into my gmail account.

Well, I'll be damned... On the movie pass website none of those
came up. I just might get this.

I wonder about the list...

The El Capitan is a reserved seat, Disney only theater. The New Beverly is owned by
Tarantino and only plays classics on 35mm and the Egyptian Theatre is a specialty
house doing screening of old films usually with stars or director in to talk about them
and curated series.

Last edited:
Back