shooting format and sound mix for submission to withoutabox.com

Hi,

First of all, the images I have tried to attach don't seem to be working on this site. I have posted screenshots on https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/240/889, so please refer to that link for screenshots.

I am trying to submit my narrative short to a few film festivals using withoutabox.com
I shot the film on 5D Mark III.

I am not very technical, and I got the question of shooting format. See below:
shootingformat.jpg

I actually don't know exactly what that means.
When I open my video in Quicktime, I get the following info if that is helpful at all:
format.jpg

Also, on the sound mix question, I'm a bit confused. This is what I have to fill out:
soundmix.jpg

So what do I tick for shooting format? I will of course supply any other details you might need to answer my question. Really grateful for any full or partial answers you might have.

Thanks,

Fred

I shot the film on 5D Mark III.

I'm not sure what options for shooting format are available on the 5D MKIII or which one you chose, so I can't help you on this one.

Also, on the sound mix question, I'm a bit confused.

I have to say that the options listed are a bit strange. Some of the listed formats can only really be found in history books/museums, most of the remaining listings are almost museum formats as they are designed for 35mm film and one of the listings isn't even an audio delivery format! In all likelihood, the appropriate choice would be "Other", remember though that they are asking for the audio format of your exhibition print, not your submission print! "Other" will cover any of the audio formats you would likely use for DCP (3.0, 5.1, 7.1) and if your exhibition print is on BluRay then "Other" will still probably be the correct choice.

I am not very technical ...

There are quite a lot of technicalities when it comes to delivering films/content to distributors and broadcasters and even some for delivering content to festivals. Some of the technical requirements you are likely to encounter will require advanced planning and budgeting. So if you plan on progressing to making content for commercial purposes or for the better festivals, it would be very wise to do your homework and learn about the technical aspects. If you don't, at some stage you will probably find yourself in the situation of having made a quite decent film but being rejected for screening/broadcast because you haven't actually made what was required. Unfortunately, this situation is not uncommon with indie filmmakers.

G

Back