• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to Create Interesting Shots: A Learning Thread

In another thread I posted a critique of a shot that Harmonica posted, comparing it to a shot from my short film Period Piece. It seemed like a good post to spin off into its own thread, so here it is. If you have shot you'd like critiqued, post a screen grab here and we can all point out what works and what doesn't work. I'll try not to be too harsh, but I will be honest. Sugarcoating doesn't help anyone to learn. I'd like to use this thread to help people improve on their usage of lighting and set design to create interesting imagery.

Here's a frame grab from my team's 48 Hour Film, Period Piece. I was the co-producer/co-writer/DP for the project. I'm not saying it's a perfect shot, it's not even close. In fact I actually took the frame grab to point out some flaws that we made.
x28byb.png

It is, however, a lot more interesting to look at than this frame grab from a clip Harmonica44 posted.

fz87m8.png

First off, there's depth to my image. In the foreground, you can see drink glasses and a bottle of ketchup. Then you have the two actors, the subjects of the shot. Behind, you have a table, the rest of the bar, a hallway, interesting ceiling beams, lights. All simple things on their own, but this all helps create a sense of depth and makes the frame interesting.

Now lets compare to Harmonica's shot. You have a guy crammed in a corner with a phone cord and light switch. I realize he's shooting in a house, but that just means he needs to work harder as a set designer. I'd suggest he move the actor away from the wall a bit, and have the actor on the right side of the frame. To the left of the actor have that statue, that adds something interesting to the shot. The actor is talking to someone, so maybe have this shot be over the shoulder, with the second actor's shoulder showing on the left side of the frame. On the wall add a poster, a photo, a shelf, anything. Just make it interesting. There's something on the wall in the upper left corner, but it's only barely in the shot so I have no idea what it is. Shooting in a residential location like a house doesn't mean you don't have to have set design. It means you have to work harder to get interesting shots.

Now onto the lighting. See John's face from Period Piece? It looks interesting. I'm not talking about the expression, I'm talking about the lighting. There's shadows, which always make a face more interesting. I'm not saying the dark side of his face isn't lit, it is. Even shadows need to be lit to get exposure. The shadows are just lit a few stops lower than the highlights. It's not perfectly lit, in a perfect world the highlights on his face would have been a bit darker. We were on an extremely tight schedule and didn't have time to tweak. I think the editor is actually fixing it in post for the non 48 hour cut of the film, but I'm not positive. I also would have liked to have a better hair light on the talent, but we couldn't pull it off on this shot.

Let's look at Harmonica's lighting. The subject is completely flat and evenly lit. The only shadow is under his chin. This looks extremely boring, and should be avoided at all costs. In the background I'm seeing double shadows everywhere. This can usually be avoided by using better placement of lights. As I haven't seen the whole scene I don't know what the motivation for Harmonica's light is, but I'm assuming he doesn't have one. When doing interiors it's nice to have a lamp or other practical light in the scene so the viewer knows where the light is coming from. You then base your lighting around that, and that can subconsciously explain the reasons for your lighting to the viewer.

I highly encourage people to post shots from their films. I'd like this thread to become a place where people can learn about lighting and set design. Again, I'm not trying to criticize people, I just want to help everyone learn. No one is perfect. There are two glaring mistakes from my shot that make me cringe every time I look at it. However, out of all the people I've shown the short to nobody has even noticed. Bonus points to whoever figures out what those mistakes are.

I would love to see some discussion here about cinematography. Post a still or link to some of your favorite shot films and lets tear them apart.

http://www.vimeo.com/26848263

Tear it apart. Seriously; I've got thick skin. Wouldn't post it on here, if I wasn't open to the harshest of blunt criticisms. Plus, I'm not an idiot, and I tend to be my own harshest critic, so I seriously doubt there's anything anybody might say that I haven't already noticed (though I'm curious to know if I might be surprised).

Note: I will not take part in any conversation, regarding the cinematography in this film, except to answer any questions (or to clear up any misconceptions about the production). I wouldn't want it to turn into something where I'm defending criticisms, so...talk amongst yourselves! :)

Heheh, Cracker, that was better than most of the local 48hr films I've seen. Good job. Of course, you asked for critique, so here ya go. And please note that I am also my own worst critic, so I'm guilty of all of these too.

1.) Echoey, low audio. Throw some dampening blankets down on the floor and try to mic closer. I use a bed comforter and some egg-crate squares. If shooting on tile or wood floors, I always mic from below to reduce the echo as much as possible.

2.) When the girl is standing by the front door, her face got real dark. A simple white foam core board to act as a reflector would have have made a big difference. Bounce the light coming from the door onto the opposite side of her face. The natural light will then act as a nice rim light.

3.) Could have built the tension more when doing the dolly-in shot of the tenant by intercutting reaction shots of the cops.

Loved the actors and characters. The tenant stole the show. Again, really nice job for a 48hr film.

http://www.vimeo.com/26848263

Tear it apart. Seriously; I've got thick skin. Wouldn't post it on here, if I wasn't open to the harshest of blunt criticisms. Plus, I'm not an idiot, and I tend to be my own harshest critic, so I seriously doubt there's anything anybody might say that I haven't already noticed (though I'm curious to know if I might be surprised).

Note: I will not take part in any conversation, regarding the cinematography in this film, except to answer any questions (or to clear up any misconceptions about the production). I wouldn't want it to turn into something where I'm defending criticisms, so...talk amongst yourselves! :)

Like i said before abt this short, technical mistakes are easy to overlook when you are successfully executing a good story. Good job!

This thread seems kind of difficult to accomplish. Analyzing a single shot is all fine and dandy, but how do we know there isn't movement in the shot? Or, how do we determine if a shot is good without knowing the context of it's intent? You can analyze all parts of a shot and point out what's good about it, but it doesn't mean shit unless you know how the shot will contribute to the overall feel of the work.

This thread seems kind of difficult to accomplish. Analyzing a single shot is all fine and dandy, but how do we know there isn't movement in the shot? Or, how do we determine if a shot is good without knowing the context of it's intent? You can analyze all parts of a shot and point out what's good about it, but it doesn't mean shit unless you know how the shot will contribute to the overall feel of the work.

My thoughts, exactly. Which is why I posted a full movie. Tear it apart (the cinematography). :)

My thoughts, exactly. Which is why I posted a full movie. Tear it apart (the cinematography). :)

Okay, I checked out your short film. Nice job for a 48 Hour, those competitions certainly test your skills to adapt, I love them.

The first thing that pops out at me with this film is that it needs a solid round of color correction to bring a little more life to the imagery. If you don't color correct, your work is going to look sort of flat in its lighting and mood, which immediately gives sort of an amateur feel to the film. Since the premise of the film is centered around a mystery, you could have added a color grade that looks sort of greyish and also amplifies the muted tones in the image, which could prove effective for this kind of story. Think of how David Fincher's Se7en looked. It had this grimy green (muted tones) feel to the film and that amplified the dark undertones of the work as a whole. Now I get that time isn't on your side for a 48 Hour project, so a color grade might not be favorable for time restraints, but that's not stopping you from cleaning it up to show on the internet :)

As far as the cinematography goes, it's solid and flows very nicely between shots. One suggestion though, I think you ought to free you camera a bit more and incorporate more camera movement (dolly work) into the film. I find that it can add a bit more life and energy to the work, which is good when you're trying to create tension for a short film.

Lastly, in regards to the story. In the future for any short films or 48 hour contests, try telling a story that relies less on the dialogue and characterizes your characters through action. You don't have much time to lay out many dialogue sequences, and they can get kind of bland in short films because it has to be so concise. Therefore, tell a story with action so the audience has less to focus on. Also, if you feel like challenging yourself even more, work with a metaphor for your story, it can be challenging and fun.

I hope this helps, man. :)

http://vimeo.com/27512527

Feel free to judge my work, as I have judged yours. :)

Last edited:
Okay, I checked out your short film. Nice job for a 48 Hour, those competitions certainly test your skills to adapt, I love them.

The first thing that pops out at me with this film is that it needs a solid round of color correction to bring a little more life to the imagery. If you don't color correct, your work is going to look sort of flat in its lighting and mood, which immediately gives sort of an amateur feel to the film. Since the premise of the film is centered around a mystery, you could have added a color grade that looks sort of greyish and also amplifies the muted tones in the image, which could prove effective for this kind of story. Think of how David Fincher's Se7en looked. It had this grimy green (muted tones) feel to the film and that amplified the dark undertones of the work as a whole. Now I get that time isn't on your side for a 48 Hour project, so a color grade might not be favorable for time restraints, but that's not stopping you from cleaning it up to show on the internet :)

As far as the cinematography goes, it's solid and flows very nicely between shots. One suggestion though, I think you ought to free you camera a bit more and incorporate more camera movement (dolly work) into the film. I find that it can add a bit more life and energy to the work, which is good when you're trying to create tension for a short film.

Lastly, in regards to the story. In the future for any short films or 48 hour contests, try telling a story that relies less on the dialogue and characterizes your characters through action. You don't have much time to lay out many dialogue sequences, and they can get kind of bland in short films because it has to be so concise. Therefore, tell a story with action so the audience has less to focus on. Also, if you feel like challenging yourself even more, work with a metaphor for your story, it can be challenging and fun.

I hope this helps, man. :)

http://vimeo.com/27512527

Feel free to judge my work, as I have judged yours. :)

Hey, I guess I missed this post, when you wrote it two-and-a-half months ago. That's a good critique -- thanks for sharing it. And if anyone else wants to constructively criticize the cinematography, please feel free. :)

I checked out your video. Actually, I rather like the cinematography. Very nice shot composition. A couple of the outside shots are a little blown-out, and a couple of the inside shots aren't lit so great, but I'm kinda nit-picking. Overall, I think it has a nice look. For the performance footage, I found myself wanting more variety in shots.

Anyone else care to post a video for critique? Of course there is the screening room for that, but in this thread, we're specifically looking at cinematography.

Back