• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

b&h vs home depot lights

How many of you guys are using lights that are not construction lights? Would you prefer to own or rent the lighting set up?

I had an itch to buy some lights from b&h. Browsed around some light kits , and debating if they re that much different from equivalent construction lights for 30 bucks from home depot.

Most of my lights are to 50-100 watt variety. The small 50-watt work light are rare and I snapped a boxful up.

It's another thing to consider. 50-100w isn't really enough most of the time. Professional lights come in sizes from that low up to 12k. My smallest pro light is actually a Lowell "Pro Light" (that's the name of the fixture haha) and it has a 250w bulb. A 250w worklight with a built in stand is about $50-70 at home depot. For $100 (used, less if you look) you can get the ProLight with adjustable wide-spot knob and built in barn doors on a stand.

I do keep a couple of fixtures that can hold an Edison bulb around and mount on a stand with an umbrella because that 60w bulb comes in handy here and there. Still, they're $10 and you get a stand mount and brella holder.

Professional lights aren't that more and the versatility they bring is why they're the way to go. You often pay more in workarounds in the future than the right way off the bat.

It's another thing to consider. 50-100w isn't really enough most of the time.

My movie set isn't the Ed Sullivan Theater! :lol:

For those I place them overhead in strategic locations where actors will be standing, walking or sitting often for the third of a 3 point lighting set up. I just leave them in place, grabbing other ones for one-off shots.

With the film long done, I've shot other one-off projects using the same set, by gosh all the lights are still spot on ready for silming. The best not-very-much money I ever spent!

Again, all this just goes to say there are options. Make informed decisions. If you feel you MUST have pro lighting gear, by all means, get pro gear.

GuerrillaAngel, have you posted anything you've shot? I don't intend to criticize, I'm just genuinely interested in seeing how it looks.

Its a feature film -- not online except for the trailer/gag reel.

Its a dilemma. I always hate when newbies show up in forums and start hawking their wares instead of contributing to the discussion. I don't want to do this.

I figure 500 posts would be enough dues paying before hawking here. :lol:

You can always PM me and I'll give you a link to the IMDb and website.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

So my next question would be the power of lights.. I sure that it depends on the scene I'm going for, but on average, 3 point light for indoors, how many watts each light should be to have good lighting?
300 watt on each?

There's no rule that says 3 point lighting is required. It's a fine place to start from, but you shouldn't let 3 point lighting hem you in. And even if you want it, your fill light might be a bounce card and your hair/rim light might be an open window. And if you went for a 3 point fixture set up, most likely you wouldn't want all the same wattage. hairlight should only need about 150 watts. Key? just depends.

Shooting on a 5D, with it's low light capabilities, we can sometimes get away with only a 350w and a 650W (so 1K total) lighting an interior. I really wouldn't even consider trying to shoot anything "serious" without at least 1500K of light to use.

You get by with what you have, you make it work, but Hollywood doesn't use those massive grip trucks just so they can pay guys to eat donuts while they stand around and look at them. I was on a History Channel commerical shoot, They were shooting a barn, middle of the day in June, full sun. They had four 12Ks, some with 12' X 12' diffusion screens in front of them blasting on the front of the barn. The doors were open and people were standing in the loft dancing, etc... so to get a little rim light on them and make them pop they had two MORE 12K lights behind the barn shining all the way through it to hit them from the back. Again, this is in full broad daylight sun. Why.... because as the sun moves across the sky or goes behind a cloud the lighting of the scene won't change dramatically, plus is gives good depth to the shot. Is it necessary, not really, but if you have the budget why wouldn't you do it.

Is it necessary, not really, but if you have the budget why wouldn't you do it.
There is more to using a lot of equipment than "if you have the
budget..."

I am a huge advocate of DIY lighting. What I don't understand is
why you feel pro equipment is for "the techie and gear Gods". As
you point out, the sun moves during a shooting day. When a
production need 6 to 8 hours do do the shot you mention is it a
money and time saving necessity. It isn't an "if you have the budget"
situation - that lighting, in that situation is necessary. Perhaps what
you mean is someone with no budget can still shoot in a barn middle
of the day in June with full sun and get a good image. It may not be
necessary for someone like you, but when I have a full crew and
extras and I know it's going to take 8 hours to shoot that scene it's
necessary. I just can't afford to shoot for the 3 hours the sun is in
the right place and come back again the next day. But if I have a small
crew and no money to rent, that's what I have to do and I will make
the best of it.

I use pro lighting because it saves time and gives me a better look and
saves time. Not because I am enamored with equipment. You have read
my DIY lighting posts - if anything I am enamored with getting great
lighting with "home depot" lighting.

There is no debate here. A filmmaker can get great lighting with "home
depot" lighting. I feel using pro lighting is more than just "if you have
the budget" or for "the techie and gear Gods".

Got it.

I guess it was just the way you worded it I got the impression
you were saying that the equipment used in your example wasn't
really necessary to the shoot but a luxury if you have the budget.

I feel using pro lighting is more than just "if you have
the budget" or for "the techie and gear Gods".

I never think of Lights and grip gear as cool techie gear. I think it's the most boring, bulky, awkward, cumbersome and irritating gear in the world. My stuff and the stuff I rent is ancient and beat to hell. There's nothing "Tech" about it. Sandbags? Not so glam. Sure makes a big difference though.

I have always been a fan of cobbling together my own gear. I enjoy the challenge of getting the result I want with the minimum investment. This discussion has persuaded me to pull the trigger on some Arri lights that I've been considering. My local pawn broker has a four light kit (1 1k, 2 650w, 1 350w, gels, barn doors, stands, etc.) that he will sell me for $1200.00. I've been mulling it over and, even though I don't have the cash to spare right now, I'm going to get them. The best part of pawn shops? Layaway!

Back