• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Looking for critical feedback on student zombie horror movie!

Hello everybody!

I'm new to these forums, but I thought this be the best place to go for this kind of thing.

I havent had any experience before making a zombie horror movie, but recently I made one for a student filmmaking contest.

Its called "Zombie Apocalypse" and its about three University students attempting to survive one.

Its 22 minutes long and it was made for a very low budget.

If you have some time could you please give me constructive feedback and perhaps some tips on effects, editing, storytelling, camerawork, acting etc.

Thanks so much!

Part One:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnBXO_3Jr78

Part Two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68LYN7M6rNo

On the whole, I found the film to be quite entertaining. Nevertheless, I will get down to the nitty gritty.

As some youtubers have mentioned, the acting seems a bit "cheesy". While it's not all that bad, I think that part of it may be due to the script. The dialogue doesn't flow enough. It seems un-natural. The conversations don't seem real. They seem very scripted. Dialogue is definitely the hardest thing to write. Keeping that in mind, don't be afraid to rewrite some scenes. Most scriptwriters will rewrite their entire scripts several times over. Pay extra attention to the dialogue. Hand your script over to some friends to proof read. You're in university, you must have a few friends that are taking a creative writing class. Pitch the script to them, see what they say. And of course, now that you're a member of this forum, you could always pitch some scenes to the fine folks over here!

Also, I've mentioned this to another person on this forum, but the lines should make sense in the context of the film. Often times, you'll write a script with a location or a certain prop in mind, but when it finally comes to shooting, you don't have access to it. Accomodate for that change. A specific example of this is the parking garage scene.

"You almost killed me back there!"

"Well, you're walking in the middle of the road like some kind of brainless -" she is interrupted.

(sorry, not sure how to do script format on this forum). This dialogue had me really scratching my head. "Back there" is only 3 seconds ago, and 2 feet away. "In the middle of the road", when there is no road. It is a parking garage. This example is definitely arguable, but to me, it made no sense. It broke the flow of the scene.

So, make sure the dialogue makes sense in the context of the film, and make sure that it flows like a real conversation. You want to convince the viewer that it IS, in fact, a real conversation.

I'm not a very good cinematographer, so I'll leave that point to someone who knows what they're talking about!

The special effects were a hit and miss. I REALLY REALLY liked the edible gore. It added a lot of tension to the film, and made the zombies a lot more threatening. However, I didn't quite understand why the army guy was firing flares at your actors. It looked really weird, cheap, and out of place. You already have a good muzzle flash (as can be seen only 10 seconds earlier), so why don't you use it again? Unless of course it's a shotgun (Which I think it might be). In which case, why does a shotgun have a flare attachment? And why is he using flares as a weapon? Not only does this make really little sense, but it looks VERY weird. Of course, there may be a real reason for it, but as a casual viewer, I am not seeing it.

I'd post more, but I'm starving right now. I really hope you found some of my comments useful. Can't wait to see your next film!

Last edited:
Great film. Laughed my butt off. :P

Acting was... so-so, shall we say. Dialogue wasn't that great, either, but the amount of injokes that were referenced more than made up for that... from Pennywise to the name of the teacher.

Pacing was pretty brisk. Moved well.

Some of the foley was terribly obvious, but oh well. (Some of the dialogue dubbing, as well) Overall, sound was rather good, though.

Grisly effects were okay - I'm not much of a gore fan myself, so didn't pay that much attention to detail.

Lots of blown-out footage, mainly when travelling in the car. Might be trickier to fix that when moving, but much of it was with the car being stationary. Should have taken a few minutes to get that set up right.

The crazy guy with the gun was a very wtf-moment - going to have to watch that part again, to see how you did the fx on that.

Weak ending. :(

It's a fun flick. Moves fast, spoofs the genre, and is entertaining. :cool:

Thanks for taking the time to get to the nitty gritty guys!

I'm taking everything I read from here into account for when I try my hand at another movie!

Hey as a quick question regarding sound editing since you guys are knowledgable :)

Er when attempting to blend sounds into a scene, such as dialogue you recorded afterward because the initial dialogue turned out bad...

I was using variations of high and low pass as well as tinkering with bass and volume controls to try and blend the new audio into the scene... is this the correct thing to do? Or is there some other tool I should be using? Or is this one of those practice makes perfect kind of deals?

This probably isn't the right forum for this sort of question... :P

Interessting movie.

Besides the dialogues others already mentioned I think the introduction of the characters was an issue. Before they were established in the car I didnt know who is who. Specially the scenes at the playground were disturbing. What I couldnĀ“t understand was why they were sleeping that much in unsecure places without someone keeping watch. After beeing attacked by zombies going to sleep might be complicated.

FX: I probably never will understand why zombie movies are that often chosen to be a low budget genre.

Camera/edit: I think a reedit by a professional editor might push the whole movie further. The use of to near shots of different persons brought up a feeling of them beeing an importent part in the whole story which they werent (ie playground) or introduced a conflict in a way that it might be the big deal but than wasnt and ended fast and unspectacular (soldier/future trooper).

All in all its a nice first short which clearly shows that the people involved thought something about what they were doing. That not everything can be perfect at this early stage of filmmaking shouldnt bother anyone. Keep up the good work.

Regards

What I couldnĀ“t understand was why they were sleeping that much in unsecure places without someone keeping watch. After beeing attacked by zombies going to sleep might be complicated.

OH MAN!

I can't believe that totally passed us by!

Hahahaha

Damnnnnnnn

Hey as a quick question regarding sound editing since you guys are knowledgable :)

Er when attempting to blend sounds into a scene, such as dialogue you recorded afterward because the initial dialogue turned out bad...

I was using variations of high and low pass as well as tinkering with bass and volume controls to try and blend the new audio into the scene... is this the correct thing to do? Or is there some other tool I should be using? Or is this one of those practice makes perfect kind of deals?

This probably isn't the right forum for this sort of question... :P

I don't have any experience with editing voice in. I know messing with the high/low pass can get you a nice radio/off screen effect, but I don't know enough about it to recommend it. Sound is a very complex thing. It bounces off of everything. Thus I imagine i'd be really hard to recreate the scene digitally. You don't have to take my advice, but the problem solver in me is telling me that I'd reshoot the scene in the same location. If I had 3 people in the scene, I'd have 3 people in the scene again, standing in the same place. I'd then reshoot the dialogue. Or in the least, try to recreate that positioning in a similar environment. As I mentioned before, sound bounces, and a difference in positioning/the amount of objects in the speakers vicinity, etc. can impact the variance of the sound. I'm sure some of the fine gentlemen here have better suggestions though!

I'm thinking looking around for a workshop in sound design is probably a good thing - er sound editing I think would be the right term.

Back