Low Budget Films

I'm looking for some really really low budget films, Like Very low. I can't seem to find a good list online, any help?

some off the top of my head:

Following
El Mariachi
Clerks
paranormal activity
Blare witch project
Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning
Pi
tiny furniture
blood runs cold

Last edited:
Monsters is one of my favorite low budget inspirations. The director comes from a compositing background, and used his skills in that to create a lot of the effects (new street signs, wrecked buildings and such). Interestingly enough, they shot this without a script, only a treatment with the scenes they needed, and what they wanted to accomplish from each scene.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1470827/

The following feature films were all made for about $2500 each:

"Detour To Hell"
"Stoned Dead"
"Bad Spirits"
"Dying For Dollars"
"The Money Trail"
"The Vacant House"
"He's Dead"
"Day The World Stopped"

Monsters is one of my favorite low budget inspirations. The director comes from a compositing background, and used his skills in that to create a lot of the effects (new street signs, wrecked buildings and such). Interestingly enough, they shot this without a script, only a treatment with the scenes they needed, and what they wanted to accomplish from each scene.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1470827/

Monsters was a great achievement. The director (Gareth Edwards) had guts and went for his dreams. Got two actors in the USA, headed off to South America to film. He filmed in some dangerous places. Even had a security detail assigned to the crew for part of the filming - I think I read they were provided for free because the government/province did not want a dead or robbed US film crew in the news.

Why did he pick South America? Because it looked so different, he could get cheap 'locations' and you could often film without permits etc.

He shot in: Belize, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Texas in the United States.

I read the initial budget was sub $30k. Being a CGI whiz he did all the CGI himself. Wikipedia does mention a final budget of "way under" $500,000.

Some great info from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_(2010_film)

The film was shot in Belize, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Texas in the United States, over three weeks.

For about 90% of the filming the crew comprised seven people transported in one van: Ian Maclagan (sound operator), Jim Spencer (line producer), Verity Oswin the Mexican 'fixer', Edwards, a driver, and Able and McNairy, the stars.

As the low-budget production didn't run to a camera dolly, Edwards made do by sticking the camera out of the van window, cushioned on some bundled-up clothing.

As most of the extras were non-actors who were persuaded to be in the film, their action was improvised. "As a result of all this random behavior, the idea of scripting the film went out of the window. Instead I had a loose paragraph describing the scene with just the main points that had to be hit; how the actors carried this out was left up to them." Each night during the shooting period, the editor Colin Goudie and his assistant Justin Hall would download the day's footage so the memory sticks could be cleared and ready for the next day's filming. While new footage was being captured, the previously captured footage was being edited back at the hotel in which the production team was staying.

Back in the UK, Edwards had over 100 hours of unique, ad-libbed footage (rather than repeated takes of scripted scenes) to edit into a coherent film. Edwards did all the special effects himself using off-the-shelf Adobe software, ZBrush and Autodesk 3ds Max. The first assembly was over four hours long, but this was trimmed to 94 minutes after eight months of editing. Once the film was locked, Edwards had five months to create all 250 visual effects shots, a process he undertook in his bedroom. "[I was] churning out about two shots a day, which was fine until I got to the first creature shot. Then suddenly two months went by and I still hadn't finished a single creature shot; it turned out to be the hardest part of the whole process." Due to time constraints, the sound effects had to be produced before the special effects were undertaken.[10] Edwards claimed that the advances in computer technology in recent years made it possible for him to create the films visual effects on such a low budget; "You can go in the shop now and you can buy a laptop that's faster than the computers they made Jurassic Park on"

Last edited:
Back