• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Fedora Trailer - A no-budget indie

Hello fellow filmmakers! I would like to share the trailer of my film Fedora with all of you! This film was done with no-budget and a bunch of unknowns. It was written, directed, and produced by me, Blake Hamilton. The film has been completed and will be released in the near future. I appreciate any feedback and if you enjoyed it: please spread the word by sharing! Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dlc_4iYEc

For more information on the film please visit and "Like":

http://www.facebook.com/fedorafilms

For my other upcoming releases and other projects visit and "Like":

http://www.facebook.com/blakehamiltonfilms

Thank you for reading!

Haha I realize I'm advertising a bit here, but more than that I would enjoy hearing anyone's opinions on what I think is a good trailer. The thing I am most concerned about is that it doesn't go into the narrative much. "Fedora" has a very complex and odd narrative and summarizing it is near impossible. I wanted to try and paint a picture of what the film will be like without giving much away.

"Fedora" is a film-noir centered around two vastly different characters and the collision of their lives. The audience gets to know them via voice overs and once they meet all hell breaks loose, essentially. I know none of you will be able to say for certain because you haven't seen the film. I just would like thoughts on the trailer. It is the first one I have cut together besides little teasers and clips. Let me know what you guys think! Please and thank you.

Here's my opinion, and I don't want to offend.

The sound is pretty rough. The effects are a bit jarring for the blood and gunshots. The dialog didn't seem natural.

The story didn't make sense, nor did what was shown make me want to see it. But as you hinted, that may be from not being able to get the meat of the story in a short trailer.

I did like some of the shots, notably fedora walking in the shadows.

Just my opinion.

I liked the VO. :cool:

The actual footage seemed to be rather dark. Also wanders all over the place.

When will the film itself be complete? Is it a short or feature or series?

Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate anyone's opinion. Whether they like it or not: you may learn something either way. I've been doing this long enough that I can take criticism, as long as it is done respectfully. I am also appreciative to anyone that is willing to take time out of their day to look at something.

So TheMurph, I wasn't offended at all, and you made some good points. I am aware of the issues that you have stated. Unfortunately, at this point there isn't much I can do. I made the film with literally nothing and the equipment used to record was less than the level of your average prosumer gear. I tried extensively to fix things in post, but that created problems as well. I had to cut my losses and make it as good as I could with what I had. The effects are cheesy, but I did what I could to mask that by making quick cuts and so forth. Jeesh I feel like I'm making excuses haha. The film has just been a thorn in my side from start to finish, and now I have to go and sell the stupid thing. The trailer's story doesn't make sense and it wouldn't even if I included many of the important plot points. It is a very introspective character piece, as well as there are a lot of metaphors and expressionism used. How the hell do you put that in a trailer? haha to boot not much happens for the bulk of the film. I'm in a tough spot with the task of selling this piece. Granted, I put myself there. Anyway, TheMurph thank you for your opinion. If you have any ideas that would make the trailer more compelling: I would love to hear them!

Moving on, thank you Zensteve for your comment. I'm glad you liked the VO, there is a lot of it in this film! I think the footage ended up a bit darker because I put the trailer up in LQ to save time. Look at it now, it does seem a bit darker than it should. Not by a whole lot because it is film-noir after all. For the trailer I just took bits to kind of show the two main characters' personality, that's because they are who the audience will follow throughout the story. Then I just put in a slew of clips from the more interesting scenes to keep it interesting. So it does wander, but it kind of has to for this trailer to work on a marketing level. Ahh to answer your questions: The film itself has been completed. Officially it was done a month ago, hence me starting to promote it. It took a long time to make but I feel pretty good about what was done without any money at all. It is a feature film and runs 89 minutes including the credits. Thanks for your input!

Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate anyone's opinion. Whether they like it or not: you may learn something either way. I've been doing this long enough that I can take criticism, as long as it is done respectfully. I am also appreciative to anyone that is willing to take time out of their day to look at something.

So TheMurph, I wasn't offended at all, and you made some good points. I am aware of the issues that you have stated. Unfortunately, at this point there isn't much I can do. I made the film with literally nothing and the equipment used to record was less than the level of your average prosumer gear. I tried extensively to fix things in post, but that created problems as well. I had to cut my losses and make it as good as I could with what I had. The effects are cheesy, but I did what I could to mask that by making quick cuts and so forth. Jeesh I feel like I'm making excuses haha. The film has just been a thorn in my side from start to finish, and now I have to go and sell the stupid thing. The trailer's story doesn't make sense and it wouldn't even if I included many of the important plot points. It is a very introspective character piece, as well as there are a lot of metaphors and expressionism used. How the hell do you put that in a trailer? haha to boot not much happens for the bulk of the film. I'm in a tough spot with the task of selling this piece. Granted, I put myself there. Anyway, TheMurph thank you for your opinion. If you have any ideas that would make the trailer more compelling: I would love to hear them!

Moving on, thank you Zensteve for your comment. I'm glad you liked the VO, there is a lot of it in this film! I think the footage ended up a bit darker because I put the trailer up in LQ to save time. Look at it now, it does seem a bit darker than it should. Not by a whole lot because it is film-noir after all. For the trailer I just took bits to kind of show the two main characters' personality, that's because they are who the audience will follow throughout the story. Then I just put in a slew of clips from the more interesting scenes to keep it interesting. So it does wander, but it kind of has to for this trailer to work on a marketing level. Ahh to answer your questions: The film itself has been completed. Officially it was done a month ago, hence me starting to promote it. It took a long time to make but I feel pretty good about what was done without any money at all. It is a feature film and runs 89 minutes including the credits. Thanks for your input!

If I may say so, I would entirely agree with the previous two posters. The only other issue I would talk about is the framing which makes a huge difference and could be adjusted in post. For some reason, the framing could be improved and I would personally play with that to make it look the biz.

However, what do I know? I've only shot one, full short that I can call my own!

Thanks for the input gorillaonabike! And I must say I love the handle! haha The framing is another by-product of the low quality trailer. I think what I'm going to do is take a lot of what you all have said and apply it to the trailer I plan on releasing once I get a release date set. That will be in HQ HD and hopefully I can figure out a better way to express the story by then. This first trailer is mostly to get word of the film outside of my area. Thanks again guys!

I dig the look. But not the sound. I really wish you plan on doing ADR on this film. 'Cause to be honest, even though you have the greatest story in the world, people can't just forgive bad sound. They might forgive the visuals, but not sound. Always remember that. It's the sound that distinguishes an amateur film from a professional one. So make it a goal to always record great sound. :)

The trailer itself seemed a bit long to me. Always remember that less is more. Also, it did not really hook me to the story. It didn't excite me to see it. I didn't know what was going on to be honest.

I know you said that this trailer was only supposed to show the characters we'll be following in the film, but I think it would be more interesting if you showed what the film is about. But that's just me.

I liked the facebook page to see the progress of this! And if you decide to cut another trailer then definitely let us know.

P.S. It wouldn't hurt if you also liked my facebook page. ;) lol
https://www.facebook.com/ImagineNowEntertainment

Thanks for the input justinisfilming! I'm glad you like the look. Most of the film was actually ADR as well as a good portion of what was in the trailer. The trailer kind of fails, and I'm realizing this now, because of the fact that the sound is based on the many different levels of sound ie. VO, ADR, backround sounds, music, score, master, etc. And it is all balanced out to compliment each other in the film. For the trailer I only used the VO and ADR, and the score dominates it all. In addition, I used filters to make the sound a bit older to fit the look of the film. Whether that will work out or not we will see. At least people can't tell what is and what is not ADR! haha. I have a good amount of time to get the next trailer ready as I am in the process of shooting a few shorts before pushing the "Fedora" release. Thanks for the like! I will like your page as well!

Two cents worth...

Sound issues seem to be covered already!

Agree with Justinisfilming, does seem a bit long. Think you could cut a lot of the scenes towards the end. For example why is there a random shot of a guy playing guitar!! Obviously could be an integral shot within the film but feels like it's been crow barred into the trailor. Think you could lose all the gun fight scenes, just leave the one shot from the floor with the guy standing overhead - would hint at the violence without tipping your hand.

But hey..I'm no expert and I've just watched that trailor twice and read the above comments so 'pinch of salt' and all that. The narrative of the film sounds very intriguing!!! :)

Back