• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My demo Reel.

I thought it had some great editing, along with some great cinematography.

There were a few shots that were just not as good as the rest and I wondered why you put them in.

And it's good for a DP/Editor reel, but as a Director's reel, it wont cut it.

Other then that, I thought It was very well done.

Too stylistic for me. I want to see what a cinematographer can do with the camera, not with effects.

I would pass on this as a director (looking at DP reels) unless it was for a music video.

For an editor's reel I want to see how you cut a scene not assemble a montage.

As a director's reel, well, this just isn't one.

The main problem here is you are trying to put 3 reels in one. You need 3 reels.

Good luck.

thanks for the comments guys, very helpful critisism. I AM aiming this at music videos right now however. I wouldn't show this to someone whose short film I was about to direct. I'm aiming mostly at music videos. Which is why I put director/editor/DP on it, because most of the content is just music videos in which i did all three. Also, being mostly music videos, the clips are cut up pretty heavily to begin with. So with that being said, as a music video reel, do you think I should still have seperate reels?

CDCosta, which shots are you speaking of? I'd like to know which one's and perhaps I'll reconsider other choices.

Thanks again for the comments!

Okay that makes sense now. Nice reel for MVs, yes, even if you do all three. Nice stuff in there. You may also want to take the best music video you made and show it after the reel, so you can see one full MV and how it cut to the actual music, and not the reel song.

Which clip didn't you direct? You may want to mention that somewhere, not sure how. It's not that big of a deal since this mostly showcases the image.

Good luck.

CDCosta, which shots are you speaking of? I'd like to know which one's and perhaps I'll reconsider other choices.

Thanks again for the comments!

The shot after the wake boarding where its a guy skateboarding and a car driving, it's just not a very visually appealing shot.

I agree with IndieTalk in that you should have 3 seperate reels for DP/Edit/Directing

But I figured this was just a 'show' reel to just show you've done stuff.

Yea, I don't really have enough content for 3 different reels. Theres about six projects total in my reel, and that's all I have. Three music videos, a short film which I did a couple years ago, a trailer for a film that never got made, and clips from my extreme sports film. So if i were to make three seperate reels... I just wouldn't have enough content. I might be able to get away with calling this one Editor reel, and do one for DP reel, though. Thanks for the input guys!

Back