Help with recording

So I am starting to film on a very low budget ( using my phone to record) and I was just wondering how I could hook up an external microphone to the phone to record and which android app to use to film. Thanks. Also is there a cheap, professional mic I can pick up for under 25$ to plug into my phone for recording? So far I have found open camera app.

... is there a cheap, professional mic I can pick up for under 25$ to plug into my phone for recording?

You've got to be kidding; you are NOT going to get a professional mic for US$25. There is, however, a huge selection of consumer products available to you. Since I don't play with "toys" like that I wouldn't know what to recommend in that price range.

Will you have anyone to assist you with the audio or are you doing it all yourself? This will make a difference in your choice, as will the specifics of your project (i.e. narrative vs. documentary).

You've got to be kidding; you are NOT going to get a professional mic for US$25. There is, however, a huge selection of consumer products available to you. Since I don't play with "toys" like that I wouldn't know what to recommend in that price range.

Just one that will pick up my voice loud and clear.
Will you have anyone to assist you with the audio or are you doing it all yourself? This will make a difference in your choice, as will the specifics of your project (i.e. narrative vs. documentary).
So the project will be a narrative, just me talking to the camera. And no, all of it will be set up myself.

I would argue you can find something pretty good for $50-$75. But it's not going to sound all that great just going straight into your phone. You really ought to be recording your sound separately. But if you're just going for the run-and-gun thing, then I guess you wouldn't want to get tied down by extra gear.

What I suggest is ordering one of these from B&H Photo. Just speak into the hollow end and plug that USB end to your macbook and you're ready to go.

usb-tin-can-cable-to-update-old-string-phone-system-30954933.jpg

Good luck with your production.

I would argue you can find something pretty good for $50-$75. But it's not going to sound all that great just going straight into your phone. You really ought to be recording your sound separately. But if you're just going for the run-and-gun thing, then I guess you wouldn't want to get tied down by extra gear.

So what do you recommend I record into? An portable recorder?

You'll find "passable" mics in the $50 to $100 range - Audio Technica ATR6550 (US$55), Rode VideoMic GO (US$85), the original Rode VideoMic (which I would recommend) can be found for $100 to $200 depending upon the accessories package, and you can find the RVM used for $50 to $80.

On the video side of things, for your described situation, this is the app you'll want: http://www.filmicpro.com/apps/filmic-pro/
Thanks but I'm only have an lg g3. An android device

You'll find "passable" mics in the $50 to $100 range - Audio Technica ATR6550 (US$55), Rode VideoMic GO (US$85), the original Rode VideoMic (which I would recommend) can be found for $100 to $200 depending upon the accessories package, and you can find the RVM used for $50 to $80.
And do I plug that into my phone or should is there another device which could save that on an SD card?

Look, I get where you're coming from. If it's just you in front of the camera, and no one else ever, you may want to consider a cheap lav mic. There are many out there and should be considered disposable once broken.

At $65 quite a bit over your budget, but you may want to consider the Rode smartlav.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059342-REG/rode_smartlav_smart_lav_lav_mic_for.html

Here's one from Audio Technica, $22.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...a_atr3350is_lavalier_mic_with_smartphone.html

Any mic can be plugged into a smartphone as long as you have the correct adapter and have considered the power needs of the microphone.

Back