Washable paint on a car

I'm doing an upcoming short film and need advice from someone who's done art direction. In the story we're doing, a guy has doodles & saying painted on his car (like with a paint brush). I'm trying to find a way that I can paint some words on a car that will wash off cleanly with just soap and water and not leave any marks behind after. My current thought is to do a test with crayola washable paint and see if that works. I'm trying to avoid having to composite the 'artwork' on in post because the car is basically in the background of every other shot. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can pull this off?

I just PDed on a film where the main character spray paints the word 'TWAT!' on someone's car.

We toyed around with the idea of using washable paint, but, frankly, I wouldn't ever recommend risking putting paint on your car. If the paint doesn't damage it then the washing off will and, to be honest, it's an unnecessary risk.

We managed to get transparent plastic sheets (self adhesive) for super cheap at B&Q (UK equivalent of home depot) and layered them on to the side of the car. We then used a real can of spray paint to spray the words onto the sheets, but because they're transparent it looks like it's being sprayed straight on to the car. Obviously you still have to be careful, but it looks really good and in the actual footage you wouldn't be able to notice the sheets. I'll see if I can find some pictures for you.

We also applied this technique on to graffitting (sp?) a wall and it looked really awesome.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply man. A friend of mine who does work as an art director and stage designer suggested I use tempra paint. I think I'll combine both your ideas just in case. And that clear plastic stuff really wasn't noticeable at all? Did you have to cut a big enough sheet to cover an entire pannel of the car (to avoid any noticeable seams), or did you just use a piece big enough to cover the area you were painting?

Back