• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How long should a short film be?

I have some screenplays I wanted to direct myself to break into the business. But in order to get funding for that, I thought I should shoot some short films and send them into film festivals, so they can judge what I got. I was thinking of taking the ideas from some of my scripts and condensing them into short film stories.

There is one I am doing so far and it is nine pages, so it will transfer to probably about 10-12 minutes of film because there is some action scenes that will translate longer while filming. So is that a long enough length to be considered worthy, at the festivals, or do I have to make it longer? Thanks.

I think after shooting this short though, I will shoot the terrorism one. But instead of just doing a short maybe it's best to make a feature out of it. Especially since the terrorism plot is almost impossible to do in 10 minutes. In that time it will have to be over before it starts. I know a guy who wants to direct a zombie movie, out of a screenplay he wrote. He has decided to make three short films with his money, in order to hopefully get funding to make the big zombie feature.

Is that a what I should do, or should I just make this one short, see how it does, then make a whole feature out of my terrorism thriller script, instead of using the money to make more shorts? I am more for making a whole movie after my short, because it's much easier for me to come up with feature length ideas then it is to come up with 10 minute ideas, that are over before they start, and cannot allow for any great twists and turns that wills stand out. So if that's the case, should I just make the feature after, or is that just too risky, as a newcomer?

Personally, I think there isn't a set length for how long a film should be. Because your version of a short film will be different from your friend's version of a short film (lengthwise of course). It's up to the director of that film to decide that.

Seeing the amount of replies already in this thread I wonder if it's too late to give my thoughts but in any case, generally since a full-length feature can run from any where between 80 to over 120 minutes, then a short can be anywhere from 3 to hell even over 60 minutes. Like somebody on here already said, you're the filmmaker it's up to you what you want.

Natalie.

If your aim is to raise your profile through festivals, then bring it in under 10 minutes. A lot of festivals prefer a 10min max because it makes scheduling easier. If your film runs to 20mins, then you have to be better than two other films to win a slot. And 10min films are more press-friendly. So making it sure it doesn't run more than 10 mins (including credits) just gives you a better chance of being selected and seen - which is the point in your case.

Back