• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Island (2010)

I love this movie.

You keep mentioning the flaws, and if you're ever inclined to share them with me I might learn something.

Because it really inspired me and my work last year. Thanks for the freebie.

QFT and ditto.

One question though. I wouldn't have considered The Island to be a horror flick? Ok, I guess that's more of a statement than a question... but do you have any thoughts on that considering you chose to submit it to, and more-over got into a horror fest with it?

And again, bravo! :)

I watched this on our flatscreen TV, via my laptop. Very well made film. I'm a sucker for detailed set design and it did not disappoint in that department. There were a few bits that I think could have been trimmed out or down (can't recall exactly which parts as they came to mind while watching) but all things considered, this is an accomplished short film that succeeds and delivers. Good luck with your newest production, Nathan!

QFT and ditto.

One question though. I wouldn't have considered The Island to be a horror flick? Ok, I guess that's more of a statement than a question... but do you have any thoughts on that considering you chose to submit it to, and more-over got into a horror fest with it?

And again, bravo! :)

If anything I'd consider it a "sci fi" film, but It's actually a character driven mediation on male/female relationships ;)

Most "Horror" festivals have at least a small sci fi component, and I knew I probably had a pretty good shot of getting into "genre" type festivals so I entered several. It also has some bones thrown to the Lovecraft fans (small touches), so it could qualify as "cosmic horror" I guess.

Haha, this is FANTASTIC! I really like it! Great audio, great picture.
Reminds me a heck of a lot of Lost - when the guy is in the hatch.

I quite liked this one. I kept thinking what was going to happen at the end when the door opened. He just cares about his own self preservation. Quite a selfish character he was, but hard to say what we would do in the same situation. :)

I just checked this out. Very well done short man. The set design, shots, and acting were great. SciFi/post apocalyptic is a good genre because it has endless possibilities. i'm looking forward to what you make in the future. Anyway, good short!

Nice short! I agree with you, could have been trimmed and for some reason the audio from outside the door didn't sound real. I didn't notice the hot spots you guys are talking about. I'm sure if I watched it again, I'd notice.

It's very much like a TZ episode. Single set, 1 or 2 actors.

How many days to shoot it?

And is that considered a Facebook "Fan Page"?

Hugh Laurie indeed!

Last edited:
I'd say all my shorts have a heavy Twilight Zone influence, including the new one. It's what I grew up on, plus it's a good formula for a 15 to 25 minute short.

Principal photography was 3 days then we needed another day to shoot pickup shots, mostly the little inserts (record spinning, that kind of thing).

Sound was last on the agenda in post production and it got rushed. I had some festival deadlines I really wanted to hit so I basically told my editor and sound guy we will be done by this date, period, not one day longer. With the tremendous load of recording all that music (every bit of music you heard was recorded by us specifically for this movie) the outside sound effects wound up relying too much on canned effects and and didn't have the variation in volume and other tweaking I would have liked.

Thanks for watching!

I enjoyed that Gonzo. The thing that really stuck out to me was the pacing. So many times you see a ten minute movie trying to be twenty minutes. But I think you paced this very well.

Just a quick FYI that the full movie is now available on youtube, If you never saw it.

The Island (2010)

This would be the last film we shot on the HVX200A. Pretty proud of the art direction (always a focus in my films). Entire thing shot inside a 12 X 15 mini storage warehouse.

Bump.

Bumping some of my old films for new users (since I have been absent for so long).

This is my second film (from 2010). This was actually the film that won the most awards and got into the most festivals (about 20 I think) though personally I believe my third film is better in many ways. I worked on a feature version of this with an agent in LA for a few months, but what he wanted and what I was capable of at that time didn't mesh and we both dropped it.

We shot this in 4 days, but there was probably 4 months of pre-production, including building the entire set you see inside a 12 x 15 self storage warehouse.

https://vimeo.com/17683897

This film does seem to resonate with people more than anything else I did. It has consistently gotten 20 to 50 views a week on vimeo ever since I first put it out there 3 years or more ago.

Back