How Should I Shoot a Wedding Video?

I'm a brand new freelance videographer trying to make this a career for myself, and I've shot pretty much every type of cinematic endeavor except for a wedding.

I was just curious on how I should strategically go about it. I know what shots to get etc, but more confused on the layout of a wedding video. Any thoughts on this would help!

The layout?
There is no fixed format.
I think 2 things are always important: story and atmosphere.
Always discuss the wishes of the couple before the wedding.
And don't forget to take a shot of all the close relatives.

To be the best... or merely be competent, learn from those having done Wedding and Event Videography for a long time. Join WEVA. I haven't done weddings since 2002 (except for a few friends pleading for me to do theirs)... so my advice might be a bit archaic... But when I did weddings (and I did many) I never had a bridezilla and I made top-dollar at that time, (have hours of testimonials on DVD too). So here is my two cents...

FIRST, It is not your wedding... find out and put on paper exactly what the Bride, Groom and their families want.

SECOND, there is no do-overs... you get the footage or you messed up recording someone's special day!

Use a tripod! Use wireless microphones! AUDIO is 50% of their wedding video. I used at least 3 cameras (as many as six) and let them roll during the Ceremony and Reception (moving and changing the camera's footage on the parameter -- never blocking anyone's view). TAPE everything. The People that are there. The Flowers. The Food. The Music/DJ. Don't forget Best Man. Father of the Bride. And all the specific events that make up a wedding ceremony. You can never have too much B roll! I have done many types of religious weddings -- Judaism, Christian, Hinduism, Buddhism -- know what you are allowed to shot and from where.

Then edit accordingly. Family will always want more footage. Friends will always want less. AND be creative with your shots -- Start out with LS of each location... go for a wide variety of angles, low angles and high angles, get those CU, Strive for capturing as much emotion, fun, happiness as possible. When doing children (like the flower girl) shoot from her eye level.

AND dress for the occasion... forgo dinner and get those interviews... find out in advance who the 'must have people' on final edit are going to be. Try to make them 'look' great. Be observant and aware of those around you to avoid possible accidents. Be prepared in advance! Know all the locations you will be recording at and what their rules are.

Hope this helps. Good luck. I had a blast doing weddings... but it was work! I was paid very well, but was exhausted when finished -- editing was a breeze, cause I knew what I had in the can before I started.

I learned a lot just by reading Don's post!

Here's another one you might look at. Not that I would know, but it seems nice to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz9kjdYQhWw

Back