Script Analysis and Rehearsal Help!!!

Hi guys,

I’ve directed two short films in the past.
In the last few months I’ve read both of Judith Weston’s books and took an acting class, so all of this “process-oriented directing” stuff is swirling through my mind, but I haven’t internalized it yet. I’m preparing for a longer film over the summer and sincerely want to help actors be “honestly in the moment”, but I have some anxiety:

-I’ve printed out the script and am trying to do scene-by-scene script analysis, looking for facts, images, subtext, etc., but a decent part this script is built off of abstract monologues (think Richard Linklater). I don’t know what choices/adjustments I should come up with for these bits. What other objectives could my actors have besides ‘speaking their minds’?

-Script analysis seems so complex! Is there any simpler ways to go about it (or at least explain going about it) without so many steps?

-I’ve never rehearsed this way. Weston says not to rehearse without rehearsal goals, which come from script analysis. But how do I have a goal, something to work on, if I haven't yet seen how the actors act? It's a chicken and egg problem. How do I start a rehearsal? I definitely want to rehearse to make sure the actors can get used to feeling in the moment with each other, but how much should I as a director do?

-Weston says if haven't ever done warm-ups or improv with actors, then you shouldn’t. But then how do you ever learn to use these techniques? She also says not to "just run through the scenes" repetitively… what should I even do for each rehearsal then?

-Finally, I’m not gloomy, but I’m not bubbling with constant energy either. I’m afraid of either coming across as too quiet/stoic, or talking unnecessarily / trying to sound like a condescending “Weston wannabe”.

Opinions?

Script analysis seems so complex! Is there any simpler ways to go about it (or at least explain going about it) without so many steps?

There always is easier ways to do it. The issue you may come up with is whether the new process will do the job you need it to do. Truth be told, everyone has their own style and method which works for them. You need to find what works best for you and the script you're working with.

In my opinion, how much you should do is EVERYTHING you NEED so you understand the story so you can have a CLEAR VISION. Allow your actors to develop their characters. Intervene when their vision. Most of the time their vision will help add to your vision. Occasionally it will conflict. It's at that time where you'll need to direct your actor(s) towards your vision and what you'll need to accomplish that vision. Remember, you picked your actor(s) for a reason. You should trust them just as they need to trust you.

That all being said, if that process doesn't work for you, then you need to find a process that does work.

Not all methods will work for all films. Some less "deep" films won't need to go as deep into the characters, plot, subtext as other films.

Most importantly, be yourself.

Back